In American Professional Football which should draw the largest Penalty?

This is the place for thoughts that you want to share about nearly anything that comes to mind. Politics is ok as well. All notions and opinions are the view of the poster and not this site. Just remain civil in whatever you wish to express.

Moderator: Niner

Which should get the greatest penalty

Kneeling down on one knee.
No votes
Kneeling down on two knees.
No votes
Sitting down.
No votes
Linking arms.
No votes
Multiple players having it both ways by standing and touching someone who is kneeling.
No votes
Standing but raising the fist in a power salute.
100%
Teams staying in the locker room until the the music is over.
No votes

Total votes: 1
Niner
Site Admin

In American Professional Football which should draw the largest Penalty?

Postby Niner » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:24 am

Football players get penalized for all sorts of things... off sides... ruffing the passer.... holding.....illegal contact... face mask....delay of game.... etc. What if the current political silliness over the National Anthem earned a team a penalty of five, ten, fifteen yards the first time they received the ball? Which infraction should get the most yardage of penalty?

Maybe some new penalties..... give some points to the other team if the opposing team doesn't do any of this stuff and just stands there like they did in grade school and behave themselves.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: In American Professional Football which should draw the largest Penalty?

Postby DuncaninFrance » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:58 pm

Can't vote on that, not because I am not an American but because ANY sportsperson who represents their country / team should be respectful of the anthem / flag of that country. If they don't agree with the way that their country is run then they should quit and make their case OUTSIDE sport. Sport and politics do not mix IMO.............
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
deadin
Site Sponsor 2016

Postby deadin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:00 pm

What if the current political silliness over the National Anthem earned a team a penalty of five, ten, fifteen yards the first time they received the ball?

Kind of "Put your money where your mouth is"??

(I wish we could come up with some sort of a penalty system for certain members of our government.....)
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:30 pm

If a team got ten yards for each person kneeling, sitting or arm linking during the National Anthem for "unsportsmanlike conduct", I bet the owners would think a little more like Trump. Wonder what the "fans" would think of the penalty idea? If a team could get ten guys to each earn ten yards of penalty, and at the same time lost the toss, the other team would get an automatic touchdown. If more than ten men drew a penalty, then the extra point would be added in without having to kick it.

Meanwhile, if ego maniacal say whatever pops into his mind Trump gets into a nuke war with wacko shoot from the lip "Rocket Man", it won't much matter about the rest of the football season and if it is played or not.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:19 pm

I'm done! When my team, Seattle Seahawks, didn't even come out of the locker room, (and neither did their
opponents the Tennessee Titans), that did it for me.
If they can't bother to stand for the anthem, I can't bother to watch the game. I won't watch any more NFL games.
One newspaper account stated the almost 200 players at Sunday's games didn't stand for the anthem.
Yesterday I threw everything at my house with a Seahawks logo on it into the trash..... :evil:
I'm done with the NFL and their multi-millionaire spoiled brats.... fuck 'em all.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 pm

So what does the National Anthem mean at the start of a sports contest anyway? I always felt it was a way for the fans of either team, and both contending teams, to start out recognizing that what was about to happen was a sport and not a combat mission and that both sides recognized it was a game and not to be a source of hard feelings and name calling and fist fights and riots like they do in some foreign countries over soccer matches. We were all members of the same civilized tribe when you got right down to it and should keep that in mind was the unstated, but felt, significance. One side was going to win and the other would not....everybody expected that. It was an amusement. When it ended the players were expected to shake hands and compliment each other on a game well played. It never was about commemorating those who fought and died in any war...bombs bursting in air and our flag still there lyrics not withstanding. How many know who Francis Scott Key was or what obscure meaningless fort bombardment in the war of 1812 he was being poetic about anyway?

However... back about 2001 things started to change. Team sports became a political support our troops statement. Not only was the National Anthem sung at the start with a dedication to our troops but at halftime, or in baseball in the place "take me out to the ballgame" in the 7th inning, another patriotic song was played... America the Beautiful or something. Everybody stood again with hand over heart. Then the half time in professional football would often lay it on thick with fly overs and a big flag held by a hundred people on the field and often somebody in a uniform would be brought back from Iraq or Afghanistan or wherever and be reunited with their loved ones. Not a dry eye in the house... until it became a regular thing and it became pretty obvious that we were being sold an undeclared war...or wars. The singing of then National Anthem at the start had lost the meaning it had for a lot of us growing up and going to ball games.

So I kinda feel ... Kneeling, sitting, arm linking, hiding in the locker room.... has become a political statement because of what Bush and Obama did in making the National Anthem something it never was before at a sporting event. Trump bought into what the athletic event singing has become....just like the players who show their disrespect or sympathy or respect or whatever they are feeling about it are showing they buy in too.

I'm a big fan of college sports where the original meaning still seems to be well entrenched. With a little luck the college kids won't follow the example of the pros.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:54 pm

As much as I dislike the Dallas Cowboys, they seem to have found a compromise that I feel most folks
could agree on. On the field, they all kneeled together before the anthem was played, then all stood for the
playing of the anthem. And if they want to hold hands.......whatever......... :roll:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”