Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch........

This is where you can share a funny story or joke. Adult humor allowed in large degree. Jokes that are considered more offensive than humorous will be deleted.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch........

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue May 08, 2018 4:29 am

And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it. :bigsmile:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Re: Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch........

Post by Aughnanure » Wed May 09, 2018 5:25 pm

What about 7-second fuses?? :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu May 10, 2018 5:59 am

Just count slower :shock:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu May 10, 2018 10:15 am

You both know in real life no soldier ever counted to any number before tossing a grenade. Fuse cutting wasn't a scientific certainty so much as an art with unknown material factors....like did Rosie the war worker come in hung over from staying out and raising hell the night before or not. You pulled the pin and threw the grenade. No counting.

Another thing...while I'm preaching... you remember seeing those old war movies where the guy pulls the pin out with his teeth because he is clutching his rifle or something else in the other? Doing so in real life would result in about an even bet as to if the tooth or the pin would come out first.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Thu May 10, 2018 5:47 pm

Even in training we never counted, we pulled the pin threw, then chanted " 1,2 down".

My first live throw, I threw, then in the same fluid motion went to ground,

"Get UP! Get UP!" from the Tower.

"GET DOWN"

BOOOM!!

I did better the second time :bigsmile:
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri May 11, 2018 2:31 am

First time my Platoon went to the grenade range the LAST grenade didn't explode and the range officer had to go and blow it. It was his first time as RO too so he was very nervous. "Anyone done this before?" Our CSM "Yes sir but you signed for the range" :lol: :lol:
Duncan

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri May 11, 2018 5:22 pm

In basic training they taught us to throw it like a football, although in Nam we also had round grenades
that we threw like a ...... duh.... baseball. We stood with the Drill Sgt in a spot with slits on the edges so
if some dummy dropped it, the DS could kick it into the slit and it would explode in a concrete tank below.
There were several throwing spots and the one that threw it the furthest each round got to go up and watch
the next group throw. I got to go up to watch and was really disappointed when I saw them go off, the only
grenades I had seen were in the movies and I expected to see an explosion and flames like a 55 gallon drum
of gasoline exploding. When all I saw was a flash and heard a "whump"..... so much for movie reality....... :mrgreen:
And I still laugh at movies where grenades and artillery go off like gasoline drums...... :roll:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.