D.O.W.

This is where you can share a funny story or joke. Adult humor allowed in large degree. Jokes that are considered more offensive than humorous will be deleted.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

D.O.W.

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Attachments
36963573_10216553787105198_2507898714861862912_n.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: D.O.W.

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:55 pm

I know I'm missing something here......Contact...wait....out. ?????
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:49 pm

You should know that Robert.

Patrol radio report - I have contact with the enemy - keep listening - out............. :GBR:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:10 pm

On this side of the pond we just said "Fire mission....over."................. :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:01 pm

So..just a warning that the shit was hitting the fan. I get it.... :loco:
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:29 am

Niner Delta wrote:On this side of the pond we just said "Fire mission....over."................. :mrgreen:

'Over' in British Army W.T. means I want a reply from you. Not necessary as you are only confirming you are in contact. Wait - out means that there will be further reports so keep listening but don't reply to this signal.

That is why, when I hear these idiots in war films say 'Over and Out' it makes me shudder because that means 'I want a response from you and I have stopped listening'

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:56 am

It was also according to form for the ranking party to the conversation, at least in the American Army, to be the one to say "out". The inferior didn't hang up on the superior. So... assuming the king was the superior.. why was the Duke giving the "out"?
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:13 am

Originator of the message always dictates the protocols used because you don't know who the ranking person would be and anyway, that would be irrelevant :GBR:
Duncan

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:33 pm

"Fire mission...over" ... usually meant we were in contact with the enemy and did require a reply from
the FDC (Fire Direction Center). At the end of a conversation, we said "Out."... but I didn't remember any
protocols about who said it. If it was someone we knew on the radio, sometimes we ended it with, "Alpha Mike
Foxtrot".......AMF = Adios Mother Fu.ker..... :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 pm

With a fire mission there was a formula for how it was called in and what you had to tell the battery..like what you were shooting at, if it was a contact mission, the grid, observer target line, first round WP 200 up, what kind of rounds, fuse quick or delay, how many rounds in adjustment and how many in effect, if you wanted shot and splash or not....and whatever else I've maybe forgotten. They repeated back what you told them after each command to be sure they had it right....and sometimes they didn't hear it right so you had to listen carefully. The FO ended it with a roger on the correct information and waited until the battery gave "shot out"...not shot, over...as I seem to remember. The person asking for fire was always the superior no matter rank. Like when you go to the drive up at the fast food place the one requesting service directs the order....only the FDC never asked if you wanted fries with that. When a company commander, for instance, no matter who started the call, talked to the battalion commander in the C&C flying around overhead getting instructions or relaying information, the Captain on the ground always let the Lt. Colonel have the last word ending in "out". Lieutenants always let the captain have the last "out" too. Just my observation....and admittedly suspect memory and getting what started out as a joke way off course.

Never used Alpha Mike Foxtrot because it was a phrase that I wasn't familiar with. Wish I had known about it.

Military phonetics could be confusing. A Brigade commander came on the CP push while the CO was in a woodline supervising some Bangalore torpedo efforts in an area with mines three feet apart over a wide area. He asked for the CO and I told him he wasn't available but in the "target" area. Then a second or two later with the colonels bird flying over close to the ground some of the torpedoes were set off. Scared the crap out of the Colonel's chopper jockey and the colonel was back on the radio. "What's going on?" he wanted to know. "Those explosions! What's happening?" I said "those are Bravo Tangos" There was an indeterminate pause. I could imagine he was running it through his mind trying to figure out what I had just told him meant. Finally , he asked, "what are Bravo Tangos?"