NEW PROJECT.......................

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: NEW PROJECT.......................

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:33 am

A square 10 wrote:what an interesting thread , this much info and these great photos have me digging my snyder out of the rack , thank you so much for this :SCO:
Glad to be of service, can't wait for your photos ;) ;) ;)
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:33 pm

Right! I have worked out a possible system that will allow

A) Soldering and
B) Windage adjustment...............

Mount is coming from LPA in Italy via a New French Black Powder only Armoury site.

I intend to 're shape' the sight by reducing its length and making a slight indent in the front to fit either side of the existing front sight.
Solder in place - I have been practicing but found this video very helpful - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBHOay8TAiI and then fit this dovetailed front sight.

I will try and produce a photo series of the install
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:15 pm

Having spent some time sorting out some brass cases and a press to take the Lee Dies I finally came up with a possible foresight solution so decided to shoot last Friday.

Arrived at the range at 14:15 - all to myself......
I had checked to make sure that all the loaded cases chambered and so, after setting up my portable bench, spotting scope and a large target at 50 mtrs I set to with a will and tried to get a sighter on the paper.
I had 18 rounds ( 17x .577 Minié and 1 of X-Ringservices .60) out of 21 that I tried to load (3 were over flared and have been re cycled)
I shot the Minié's first and left Martyn's to last. The first 6 were never seen again, the 7th was at 6 o'clock in the 2 ring. The upshot of this was that I finally found a POA that put rounds on paper and so was able to identify a total of 8 hits out of 18. However, I really enjoyed the afternoon. There is something about shooting these rifles that cannot be explained but the pleasure is intense.
I need to get my hands on some wallpaper so I can cover the target area from the ground up and so ID the POA properly.
Next job is cleaning the cases which are filthy from the lube I used. Have got to get my head round a simple, effective lube that stays in the lube grooves............

]Image

Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:49 pm

Going back to the first 3 rounds................ :roll:

More haste - less speed!
Duncan