British Enfield Sniper No.4 Mk1(T) SMLE 303

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Kirkendall

Re: British Enfield Sniper No.4 Mk1(T) SMLE 303

Post by Kirkendall » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:33 am

ArcheFluffy wrote:Exciting!

I recommend reading this anavar post it turns out.

-ArchFluffy
That looks very nice Miller!
Last edited by Kirkendall on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Post by Miller Tyme » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:28 pm

DuncaninFrance wrote:Smells a bit fishy then, I don;'t see why it should be a give away price if it is legit..............keep us posted Walt!
Still gathering info on my No4Mk1 (T), but it looks like it isn't POF ( Pakistani Ordinance Factory ) marked, but rather ROF marked. Some consensus is starting to build that what I have is a very rare early production Fazakerley No4 Mk1 that was converted to a (T) by Enfield, before H&H took over producing them.

Should have more info early next week, :bigsmile:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Post by Miller Tyme » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Well after much debate on several Lee Enfield & British Firearms forums the verdict is in, and it is all I could hope for.

1st I will start by saying what we thought was a Pakistan Ordnance Factory (POF) stamp on the Butt socket ring turned out to be a badly struck ROF ( Royal Ordnance Factory) stamp, and by the stamping of the No4 Mk1 on the receiver and the serial number it was confirmed it was produced at Fazakerly ROF. I have been told that it is a legit No4 Mk1 (T) that was produced in early in the production run either by Enfield or H&H before the markings' system to become standardized. The rifle went through a arsenal repair indicated by the "FTR /Factory through Repairs" stamp on the butt socket ring and the new Canadian Long Branch barrel dated 44/45. The scope mount is a Rose Brothers and was stamped matching to the rifle during the FTR , (old S/N being AP3754) and is stamped with a "GF /Gujarat Forces-India State forces" indicating the rifle was at some point used in India at some point after the FTR. The scope is the latter model No 32 Mk3 and the front scope pads are properly staked to the receiver. The stock has no markings to denote either Enfield or H&H conversion and has been refinished with an Oil finish which may have been done during its days in India. The rifle has the "BNP" mark (indicating the it was proofed in UK) and "ENGLAND" mark suggesting very strongly that it was so marked for sale as surplus to America pre 1968.

Well there you have it, everything I know to this point but there are still a couple of things I need to do the try and nail down who performed the conversion ( Enfield or H&H) but need less to say I am about as happy as one can be with my latest toy.

As soon as I figure out how to resize all the pics of it I will post them up
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Great report. Looks like you have something special...... and not a Mosin Nagant. You could be on another collecting tack now. :D
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:24 am

Luck you Walt. Remember it's an Enfield - all the rest are just rifles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :GBR:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.