Lee Enfield No 4

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Rolling45-70

Lee Enfield No 4

Post by Rolling45-70 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:50 am

Hello,

i am new to this Forum and would kindly ask if you can help me to find out what the Marks and Serial Number can tell me about the secrects of this Rifle

thx for you info

Klaus from Germany
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Lee Enfield No 4

Post by Niner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:22 am

Your photobucket links aren't working because Photobucket has closed your linking privileges as they try to get you to pay them some money for what they used to do for free.

If you edit your post and go to the bottom of the screen you will see an "options" notation with three horizontal lines in a box next to it. Click on the lines in the box and an "attachment" box will appear. . Then a a box for adding images from your computer. You can add several images to a single post and avoid photobucket or any other linking site altogether.
OverHill

Post by OverHill » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Niner,

When I try this I don't see the three lines you mention.

Is there a problem with just using the add file option to post a picture from my computer? I've tried this and when I preview the edited post the image looks good; for example here is a picture of the .327 Magnum revolver I posted earlier that time using a picture service I have; here I just I just linked to the file on my computer.
Attachments
IMG_0058_1.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:07 pm

An update of the site some time ago added a step or two to photo attachments here on the site. If I go to your above post...since I am of the super moderator class I can hit the edit button and see your post as you saw it when you posted it. If I do it now the bottom of the page shows "attachment"s and no option statement and if I hit that I see that you actually used the site attachment and uploaded directly from your computer....no linking service.

In this post ..as a new post to me... I see at the bottom an Options statement and a box next to it with three bars. If I hit the bars box I get an attachment button. I hit the attachment and add the images with the add files button..

If you are seeing one image in the original post it's for no reason I can figure other than I looked at the url of the photobucket post from the post screen text box and went to it on a separate search and it showed and when I came back here to the post it was showing all of a sudden.... I didn't add it in any way to the post. It just decided to show up. Something strange there. Can't explain.
Attachments
start.jpg
AC.jpg
AB.jpg
3a.jpg
OverHill

Post by OverHill » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks....

When I edit I don't see the tab with the three lines, in its place I see a tab labeled "Attachments"; clicking this sends me to the "Add Files" option so I think it is OK.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:29 pm

You only see the Options and three lines in a box on a new post....not on an edit.
Rolling45-70

Post by Rolling45-70 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:30 am

Hello Niner,

thx a lot for your kind help with this PB issue
i will check if i`ve been able to insert the Photos from my Picture Basket from the PC
Attachments
Receiver.jpg
Receiver.jpg (57.04 KiB) Viewed 10415 times
Magazine.jpg
Magazine.jpg (49.29 KiB) Viewed 10415 times
Lee Enfield Woodstamp.jpg
F Stamp.jpg
F Stamp.jpg (52.58 KiB) Viewed 10415 times
Bolt.jpg
Bolt.jpg (56.95 KiB) Viewed 10415 times
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:16 am

Great. Looks like you have got the photo attachments working. Looks like the magazine, and stock are from Fazakerley. You can tell by the first number of the serial after the letter.

https://www.milsurps.com/enfield.php?pg=in2.htm

The bolt looks to be from BSA Shirley.

There are a lot of FTR'd rifles out there so not unusual to have mixed parts from various repair and rebuild over the years.

What does it look like on the side of the receiver as to any information? That will be the "original" source of your rifle. I'll attach a couple photos of two different source No. 4's to show what I mean.

Our UK membership here know more about it than I do and I expect they will say something eventually.
Attachments
Savage.jpg
PF.jpg
two.jpg
Rolling45-70

Post by Rolling45-70 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:26 am

so i got the sideview
Attachments
Sideview.png
Sideview.png (81.91 KiB) Viewed 10401 times
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:34 am

F.T.R. = FACTORY THOROUGH REPAIR

(F) = FAZAKERLEY, LANCASHIRE, UK.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.