NEXT PURCHASE - MAYBE!

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

NEXT PURCHASE - MAYBE!

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:32 pm

I am looking at the possibility of buying a #1 MKIII*. Model on offer is BSA 1916 with cutoff. Don't know if all matching numbers. Caliber will be .303 'sporting' to bring it into Cat 5. Price is 490€ / £380.

Any comments please. Also, bearing in mind my sighting problems with varifocal glasses, what, if any aperture sights were / could be fitted.
Last edited by DuncaninFrance on Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Parker hale sights are available they often come up for sale on e bay.

Getting a apperture sight sight shouldnt be a problem.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Ah Duncan...

Post by Woftam » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:44 am

... coming back from the dark side I see. Welcome to a whole new world of delight.

Or pain. :mrgreen:

There are a multitude of sights in Australia made for the No 1 MkIII* - the already mentioned Parker Hale (PH5A is the model you want), Mues, Motty, Rawson and Central are others. Unfortunately Ebay madness is rife at the moment and they seem to be going for around the $200AUD (92GBP). Will keep an eye out for you.

Note - the PH5A require a longer trigger guard screw, a separate fixing screw and a special spring, the screws are available from the states.

Can't belive the price you have to pay - am currently negotiating with a mate for a No 1 MkIII - hopefully it will run me about 165GBP.

Eagerly awaitng the photo's and range report.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
DuncaninFrance

WOFTAM!

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:56 am

Thanks mate, trouble here is that the Euro is getting stronger against the £. Not long ago it was worth 67p, now its at 77p - bloody Gordon Brown! That makes 490€ - £49 more :evil:

The company offering the Enfields is called ESP http://www.espfrance.com/and all their kit is in good order so you have to pay a bit more. It is also re-chambered to .303 Sporting and that costs too!

Will continue to dream :lol: :lol: :lol:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:28 am

Make sure that the receiver and bolt numbers match, thats important on the No1's.

The original aperture sights are excellent but getting are getting harder and more expensive to get.

Look at getting a Mojo sight, its fits on where the rear sight goes no gunsmithing. I have one on a Lithgow No1 Mk111* as well as my Swedes

http://www.mojosights.com/
ImageImage
DuncaninFrance

THANKS DROMIA

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:38 pm

Slowly, slowly catchee SMLEEEEE!
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

TODAY!

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:56 pm

Sat down with my French buddy to phone round some possible sources of Enfields.

BUGGER - it's Monday - everyone is closed!! What a bloody country :roll:

Found a Jungle carbine http://www.mis-arme.com/default.htm in 7x57R for 700€ and that was about it!

Going to contact a couple tomorrow to see what is about. If nothing then the next Gun Fair is in April, 110 miles away, then another 80 miles away or the last one, also 80 miles. Ummm! Got to be dedicated I think!!
Duncan

BOLOMK1
Sustaining Member

Post by BOLOMK1 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:08 pm

Duncan,

How does the .303 Sporting differ from the .303 Brit?

I know that therte are restrictions on military calibre weapons and am just curious on the characteristics of the case.

John :?:
DuncaninFrance

THIS WILL MAKE YOU LAUGH!

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:05 am

How does the .303 Sporting differ from the .303 Brit?
As far as I can tell the difference is that the case is either 1 or 2mm shorter than .303 British! Everything else is the same, bullet, load etc.

Been looking at brass for this and can only find Remington here which does not have a good report on Midway. It would seem that Norma is the best brass by far so I might be contacting my friend in the States soon :lol: :lol:

A set of dies for reloading .303 Sporting is about 59€ / $93 / £46 although with the current exchange rates that is going to alter a bit!
Duncan

belgmart
Contributing Member

Post by belgmart » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:18 am

Duncan,

If the only difference is case length, why not purchase and trim regular .303 (unless brass for 'military' rounds is also a restricted item...), And as to a die set, just use a standard .303 and grind whatever required off the bottom. Best done with Lee dies, as they are softer...