Oh dear, what to do ?

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

krinko
Contributing Member

Post by krinko » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:59 pm

Here's conflicting advice----I had two Mosin snipers and one Cadet and sent them all three down the road.

I found it impossible to maintain head position on the Mosin with the high mounted PU scope and could actually shoot better with iron sights.

With the Cadet---could not figure an inexpensive way to crimp a case mouth over a heeled bullet and I got tired of cleaning unburnt powder out of the action.

Of the two, the Cadet probably had more going for it----I mean it might have been worth working through the loading problem---but the Snider and the big Martinis also have loading issues and three was just too much work.

-----krinko
Freudig wie ein Held zum Siegen
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:51 pm

I've looked before at the Mosin snipers and wondered about positioning to use the scope. Guess I'll find out for myself and pass it along if I don't like it.

Quite a few Cadet shooters locally, none have ever mentioned the issues you describe Krinko. Mind you I haven't discussed reloading in detail with any of them, but if I get the Cadet I will.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
belgmart
Contributing Member

Post by belgmart » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:57 pm

Use the right powder with the cadet, and no issues - I use VV N340, other have used unique with success. No crimp at all, the bullets are actually seated in fired, unsized cases.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:33 pm

I have been loading 8 grains of 2400. I have also been hand seating the bullets in the fired cases with no resizing. It works for me. Is there a load using VIT N320?

Regards

Peter..
A square 10
Leading Member

Post by A square 10 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:54 pm

you really need them all , and there is a never ending parade comming your way , put them all on layaway and get them home as soon as possible
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Bugger Bugger Bugger

Post by Woftam » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:00 pm

Thought I'd take a quick study break and do a few photos now I've got it home.

Camera however is cactus. Still works alright in movie mode but any stills are washed out (with a nice pale pink hue) and have lines all over them.

A decent new one will set me back about $400 (about the price of the Cadet) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:29 am

Get the Cadet Get the Cadet Get the Cadet Get the Cadet Get the Cadet Get the Cadet Get the Cadet :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Cameras are plentiful Cadets are NOT!!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:16 am

Does anyone else get the feeling that Duncan thinks buying the Cadet might be a good idea? :razz:
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:33 pm

Get the CADET put the camera on your christmas list we will wait for the pics.

Get the CADET.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:00 pm

Alright, alright, alright, alright.

I'll go see about the Cadet on Friday after the exam.

Sheeesh, happy now ?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: