Oh dear, what to do ?

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Oh dear, what to do ?

Post by Woftam » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:25 pm

PTA (Permit To Acquire) turned up in yesterdays post for the .22 Hornet SMLE . Already paid for it.

BUT - major exam coming up next Wednesday and need to do some serious study, so even if I pick it up I can't afford the time to play.

Bugger.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:41 pm

Is the exam morning or afternoon?

I'd suggext that you get you head down and study like billy-be-damned and, if possible, arrange a collection time and book some range time for after the exam.

Finish the exam, collect the rifle and go and blast a few rounds down range (or if you shoot over your own land, at home, at whatever you usually shoot at)

At least it'll give you a way to 'decompress' after the stress of the exam.

Tom
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:40 am

No contest. Take it to the exam and put it on the table as a lucky mascot :razz: :razz:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:02 am

Well, I thought about leaving it at the gunshop ........................... for about 2 seconds. Then went and picked it up.

Big mistake. Dave, (hereafter known as 'the bastard') after we've sorted the paperwork promptly hauls out a very tasty .310 Cadet. 2nd model with windage adjustable sight, Victorian marked, bastard knows I'm looking for one.

Follows that up with a sportered 303-25, nicely done but not my cup of tea.

Then pulls out a 303-270, done by one of the premier australian 303 gunsmiths in the 60's - very tasty but promised to his old man.

Then wants to know if I'd like a look at the original scope can he recently acquired for his WW1 german sniper - nice bit of gear.

Then he tells me he and a mate are going to import some of the Mosin Nagant snipers from the US. Probably the same as yours Niner. For the price he's saying he can import them for plus a small profit I'm tempted, but I'm also tempted by the Cadet.

Mans a bastard

:mrgreen:
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:58 am

Get the Cadet, get the Cadet!

Quickly before it goes, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Joe :lol:
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:35 am

Cadet :D cadet :D cadet :D
PeterN2

The Cadet

Post by PeterN2 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:33 pm

Get the Cadet. A lovely little rifle, cheap to shoot and accurate.

Regards

Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

No surprise

Post by Niner » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:26 pm

At least you are not getting conflicting advice. :D

Just for information, I paid $320 for the "sniper" plus whatever shipping back in December of 2006. .
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Woftam,

Do you see the Cadet? Well. here's the hook, on this weighted line,,,,, now swallow :razz:

Face it - He's got you, there's no way out; You'll have to buy the Cadet (you'll only pine for it if you don't).

Tom
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:23 pm

You blokes aren't helping, you know that don't you ?

While I haven't decided to buy the Cadet (yeah, right) I did say I would drop back next week after an item I'm bidding for on ebay ended. I'm confident he will keep the Cadet at least until then.

Mosins will be a bit more than you paid Niner and are at least a couple of months away.

I think you have the perfect analogy there Tom.