You learn something new every day

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

You learn something new every day

Post by Woftam » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:14 am

This from a for sale add on Australian gunsite. And all these years I thought Canadian Arsenals was a post war entity. Not to mention the fact that supplying the rangers, forestry and emergency services was something that deserved a much higher priority and better built weapons than the armed services.
The Canadian Arsenal No 4 Mk 1 rifles were never issued to troops, they were only made for the Canadian Rangers, Forestry Service and other Emergency services. As such the CA rifles are
generally in very good to excellent condition, but very rare to find. Especially in Australia. They are generally incorrectly identified as Savage or Longbranch rifles which are not as well made, or as desirable for the collector or service shooter. This one was made in 1942 and has all matching numbers, it has an excellent bore with no pitting what so ever.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:09 am

Sounds interesting, send me one Graeme so I can give it the once over.
ImageImage
krinko
Contributing Member

Post by krinko » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:32 pm

"They are generally incorrectly identified as Savage or Longbranch rifles which are not as well made, or as desirable for the collector or service shooter.'

We use the lowly Long Branch and Savage for tomato stakes and they are barely fit for that.

-----krinko
Freudig wie ein Held zum Siegen