Project carbine

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

englishman_ca
Regular visitor

Project carbine

Post by englishman_ca » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:30 pm

I picked this little gem off the internet. It is a Martini Henry Mk.I cavalry carbine that has been converted to .22 rimfire.

It was a sporter with cut down wood. I have cleaned it up and replaced the forearm.

Barrel has been fitted with a liner.

Breech block striker hole has been plugged and redrilled to give the offset for the rimfire cartridge.

Extractor has a bridge to pick up on the smaller cartridge.

The sight bed has been recalibrated 25, 50 and 100.

I need to get the extractor welded but the bore is good and am looking forward to plinking with it.

The sides of the receiver have been drawfiled and all markings removed, as have the proofs from the barrel reinforce. What I did notice when I was cleaning and inspecting it was that each part does have an Enfield inspector mark and that the 1885 dated barrel is number matched to the receiver.

The gun appears to have been reproofed but I dont recognise the markings. The cartridge designation is there (22 L) for .22 long. The proof mark is also on the receiver and breech block. I think that it is a British proof, does anybody recognise the markings?
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Project carbine

Post by dromia » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:41 pm

Looks like an interesting and fun rifle.

From the pictures those look like BNP marks.

Are ther any signs of markings on the muzzle crown?
ImageImage
englishman_ca
Regular visitor

Re: Project carbine

Post by englishman_ca » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:32 pm

I think thatyou are right in that it is a nitro proof mark, British I think. Letters are curly writing so is not easy to read even with a magnifying glass, but last letter does appear to be a 'P'. I'm thinking it says 'NP'. Can't get a decent close pic with my camera to show you.

Muzzle has zero markings, doubt if this was a Greener conversion. Each main piece and stock were given assembly marks, but no maker markings anywhere.

Nothing marked at the breech either.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes.