Odd Enfield

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Calfed
Regular visitor

Odd Enfield

Post by Calfed » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:20 am

Anyone know what type of Enfield this is?

Supposedly marked "7mm" on the receiver

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194 ... 30_2-1.jpg[/pic]
tonsper again

Re: Odd Enfield

Post by tonsper again » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Calfed,
This appears very similar to a rifle that I bought in the 1990s from a rifle shop owner and collector in Vancouver on Canada's west coast. He said that (my rifle) had been captured by the Turks from an Allied soldier at some time in Turkey, perhaps Gallipoli. It had been overhauled and re-barreled to 7x57 Mauser. On the left side of the receiver is a stamp from Mauser, Oberndorf. It has Australian inspection and proof markings but no caliber info.

I have no way of confirming the historical accuracy of the above since the previous owner is now deceased and the shop has been closed by his family. The rifle is, however, a good shooter with fine accuracy and minimal recoil. I don't know how to post pics to this board. Maybe someone can tell me.

Tonsper
Collector of Lee-Enfield rifles
Occasional installer of hoses in 10-rings
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:48 pm

That is an odd configuration. Doesn't look like a "sporter"....so I'd believe the Turk story.

The picture how to is here.

http://www.milsurpafterhours.com/bb/vie ... =56&t=7653
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:16 pm

Can't tell much from the photo. But the action seems SMLE like while the front is MLE like. Obviously been cleaned heavily.
On the "buy the rifle, not the story" theory I'd want to exmine the rifle carefully. MLE's & SMLE's were both used at Gallipoli. Not doubting Tonspers experience but one would assume parts and expertise were available to repair both so why would there be a hybridised one ?
It is also very much like the Khyber Pass ones seen lately.
I'd want much better detailed photos especially of markings and smaller parts (eg volley sights) which is where the Khyber Pass rifles usually show there origins.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:39 pm

A quick search turned up a Turk modified Enfield.

http://www.turkmauser.com/Enfield/

Also here in post 171.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... sers/page4

The ones I'm coming up with have a standard Turk Mauser front end not altogether like the original photo in the original question. And... they were converted to 8mm Mauser and not 7mm.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:43 pm

The Turks did modify a lot of captured Lee-Enfields.
See: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... user-rifle
and:
note the strengthening piece on the side of the body.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Calfed
Regular visitor

Post by Calfed » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:59 pm

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:04 pm

That barrel band looks a little strange. Reminds me of an 1853 Enfield. Only the swivel is open like it was made for stacking. Doesn't look like it fits real well either.
Attachments
Notice the bend in the band to conform to barrel.
Notice the bend in the band to conform to barrel.
1853 Reproduction
1853 Reproduction
Standard Turk Rifle band
Standard Turk Rifle band
Old 1853 Nepal knock off.
Old 1853 Nepal knock off.
englishman_ca
Regular visitor

Post by englishman_ca » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:00 pm

Ya, this puppy looks like it is one of those bizzare bazzar rifles from Afganistan. Itza Kyber. There is a thriving industry making antique souvenir rifles for the GIs to buy and take home. Some are absolute junk made with hand tools. Although they are indeed a tribute to the craftsmanship of the makers, they are not intended to be shot, they are for decoration. Most are pretty evident, crude stamping, letters stamped backwards etc.

But recently, there has been a trend in the rifles showing up for sale in bazzars that are fooling some knowledgeable buyers . These guns might be an original barreled receiver of an SMLE, but are titivated up to look like long Lees. A mixture of original and local hand made parts. The stampings are getting better. Some very convincing proofs and inspection stamps. There is discussion on another board of what is probably a Citadel Martini, cleaned and remarked as an Enfield. Cypher and date markings are perfect. Possibly laser cut, the markings look legit. Sadly, the rifle is probably now worth a fraction of what it would have been worth if left untouched.

The trend seems to be taking an original old Brit or European made rifle and doing some creative marking to make it appear to be something that it is not. Some buyers have just enough knowledge to be dangerous and are taken. The chummies making these forgeries are researching the net too, so they can put together whatever markings you wanted to see.

Also be aware that it seems that there is money to be made this side of the pond, stripping of these Kyber Pass specials and selling the parts on on-line auctions. I have been fooled a couple of times recently, so buyer beware.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes.