Nepalese Snider

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

DoubleD
Contributing Member

Nepalese Snider

Post by DoubleD » Mon May 16, 2011 2:15 pm

My disinterest in the Snider is well known.

Last month during the visit to the IMA Store in Easton a film crew was there videoing for a possible future TV show. They were to follow me around as I went through and selected a Martini from a pallet of untouched Martini’s. Then they were going to video me cleaning and then later shooting the Martini. That was the plan any way.

As a part of the show, Christian Cranmer took us over to one of IMA’s warehouses a few blocks away were we looked over pallets and pallets of rifles. The Camera was following me around and we came across a pallet of Sniders. The pallet was still shrink-wrapped, but opened on top. We looked at two rifles lying on top of the pallet and they looked okay. But to me, they looked like, well Sniders and really did not catch me on fire. A third rifle was twisted up in the shrink-wrap that had been peeled back opening the pallet.

I untangled the rifle and looked it over. It was a three band rifle with all its brass work intact and a leather sling. The stock looked complete and whole with little damage. There were some very minor worm holes in the butt stock. I ran my finger nail down the seam between wood and barrel and could not feel any pitting or rust. I tried to cock the hammer; I could feel pressure on the hammer but could not tell if it was from a spring or gunk. The block at first wouldn’t open, but I kept at it and was finally able to get it open. Heavy thick clean grease was holding it closed. I checked the striker and it move freely under spring pressure. The locking bolt also moved freely. The breech block axis pin and associated parts were loaded up with dirt and debris and would not move. After working the hammer back a forth a few times it started to return under spring pressure and was I able to get it to cock. We looked at the bore and it appeared to have a ring of rust about 8”-10” down the muzzle.

I announced that if anyone was interested I had found a pretty nice Snider. Folks started gathering around and someone asked if there were any markings on the lock. What do I know about muzzle loaders, so with a liberal application of spit, I rubbed the lock plate and could read-Tower 1847. After reading it out loud, I looked up and I was surrounded by everyone in the room. It was kind of like vultures circling over a fresh kill…I don’t know Sniders, but that told me this one was something special. A could hear several comments from the folks around me and knew that if I set that rifle down it would have created a stampede, so in the interest of safety, I carried the rifle out with me—strictly with the groups welfare in mind.

We took the rifle back to the Store and got out he Kramer’s and I started cleaning the gun. I removed the lock. It was packed with grease. I scraped most of the grease off and then wiped it down with Kramer’s. In a few minute the action was function flawlessly. I wiped out the shoe and wiped off the block. I ran a patch down the bore and the rusty ring in the bore disappeared and I was left a mirror bright bore.

During the cleanup we looked for additional markings but didn’t find any.

Next step firing. As I cleaned the rifle I inspected it for soundness. I did not find any condition that would indicate that this rifle was unsafe to shoot. I did not believe a tire test was warranted. I also only cleaned enough of the rifle for it to function. Total cleaning came at a later date.

At the range we opened the shoot with a 3 round memorial volley which I dedicate to my wife. The rifle functioned perfectly, the only problem encountered being operator error.
Several others fired the rifle including the IMA Staff, but most importantly my Granddaughter fired it.

Here Christian Cranmer looks on while I coach her in shooting the rifle.

You can believe me when I say, if I considered this rifle in the least bit unsafe I would have never allowed her to shoot it. In order to keep the fellows from fighting over this rifle I decided to buy for my Granddaughter.

I will get this rifle cleaned up and this will become her rifle until she is ready to move up to Martini’s.
Douglas
DoubleD
Contributing Member

Re: Nepalese Snider

Post by DoubleD » Mon May 16, 2011 2:17 pm

Here are the photos of the rifle after clean up.

Douglas
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue May 17, 2011 7:17 am

What a beauty :razz:
I never see anything like this in France :(
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue May 17, 2011 9:32 am

Interesting story and glad you posted it, DoubleD. I know that you are a big fan of IMA from your posts at Gunboards and that IMA is a Gunboards sponsor. Just curious if, since they were filming you for a possible on air presentation, were you being paid? Did they give you the Snider as lanyap?
DoubleD
Contributing Member

Post by DoubleD » Mon May 23, 2011 12:52 am

No I was not paid. This visit and tour of the the 3 IMA warehouses was part of the British Militaria Victorian Rifleman Provincial Shoot held in Easton PA

The Snider cost me $500. I didn't even get the 30% discount for the rifle everyone else who attended the tour got. I did get the discount on the Brunswick rifle I bought.

Yes I moderate Gunboards and yes IMA sponsors that board as well as British Militaria where I also moderate. As long as IMA pays the bills for our boards I will show them loyalty.

The fact is doing business with them over the years and with others in same field I don't find it hard to be loyal to them at all... they are knowledgeable about the product, give good customer service, have superior shipping and handling compared to their competition who I have also done business with.

Is there a reason for your question, it seems a bit strange....
Douglas
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon May 23, 2011 9:45 am

I was just curious. No discount, and no pay for taking part in an infomercial seems a bit stingy on their part, particularly considering all the posted support you have given them over the years. You certainly are welcome in stating your personal recommendation and loyalty to that company and I am confident that you received nothing in payment nor deep discount now that you have stated it.....on the Snider. If you had received some special consideration, and stated it, that would cause me no problem in that it would be clear your benefit was particular to yourself.

One thing that I have taken note of at other sites is that many of those sites with sponsors promote those sponsors and nay say any mention of those directly competitive to them with responses of "well our sponsors support our site and so other sources should not be considered under any circumstance". Here, I am not interested in setting up sacred cows in exchange for their money.

IMA's Nepal cache is not exclusive to them as you admit. Atlantic Cutlery has part of the same assortment of rusty relics listed at the same prices....unless one company wants to have a sales event. In fact, last weekend all inventory was 15% off at Atlanta Cutlery for Internet sales and their warehouse was open and those attending the event in person were going to be offered additional discounts....according to an email. There is at least one relative of the people who own Atlantic Cutlery that also offers some of the same stash with the unlikely name of Redford films and what they sell is apparently shipped from the Atlanta Cutlery warehouse. Prices will vary among the venders for the same assortment of relics regularly.
DoubleD
Contributing Member

Post by DoubleD » Tue May 24, 2011 1:46 pm

I detect a bit of angst in your post. I think I recall sometime back you bought a an untouched Francotte ( or maybe a Gahendra or Martini), and it was in pretty poor shape. Even though it met the description in the ads your were still disgruntled. You got what you paid for but were disatisfied. Don't let that one experience be what guides your future decisions about the Nepalese Cache from IMA/AC.

I suspect you ordered from IMA and that is the source of of your negativity towards them. If you are uncomfortable with them that is understandable. But don't let that keep you from ordering from AC.

To characterize the Nepalese cache as rusty relics is unfair and vastly untrue, far from it. You are fairly close to Atlanta I believe. Take the time to go over to AC and visit their warehouse, you will come away away with a much different opinion. There are some treasures in that cache.

The filming for IMA was not an infomercial, it was film for a concept tape for presentation to History channel for a reality show about shooting old rifles. Sure would be better than Son of Guns in my opinion and a lot better for our hobby.

I don't have sacred cows on my board, but I am loyal to who pays the bills. It's one thing to say AC has these guns on a board that is sponsored by IMA. It is quite another to promote and advertise an unpaid sponsor...The board has rules about unpaid advertising and it doesn't take long to recognize a shill. Should IMA stop advertising tomorrow and AC start, I will endorse AC with equal enthusiasm.

Niner, you need to get to Atlanta.
Douglas
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue May 24, 2011 2:53 pm

What happens with specific sponsors at named boards and forums others manage is not for me to judge. After all, I do live in a glass house and it would not become me to throw stones, nor allow others to throw stones from my site. But I do see other forums and see what others are doing and I have to consider what I want to do here as a result of what I see.

One thing that has always bothered me....and this is not directed at no particular sponsor or site..... is the connection between sponsors and sites and how the two become connected as singular entities. And when a sponsor has a problem the site gets the problem too because they promote them. And the question always comes to mind is how often are site members interests secondary to a sponsor as a result of the connection? I've seen problems happen before at several sites...usually with long months of site owners making excuses for errant sponsors. I'm sure I'm not alone in this observation. Another problem, in my opinion, is if the sponsor is offering something that other non sponsors also offer, and the non sponsors have a better price or some other benefit some sites forbid any mention of such information on the grounds of protecting their sponsor. This is the sort of thing that shows that the site is clearly more interested in the sponsors than in the members.

Douglas, I think you have made it clear about your loyalties I'm sorry if I offended you by being curious about the relationship between you and your sponsor. As I said before, your original post is a good one and I'm glad you posted it. Hope I have not offended you to the point that you are discouraged from returning and posting in the future.

I have no opinion about IMA nor any of its competitors as to better or worse. I've delt with the three I've mentioned and have been treated in a satisfactory way by all three.
DoubleD
Contributing Member

Post by DoubleD » Tue May 24, 2011 5:51 pm

I wasn't sure if I should be offended or not because I wasn't sure of what you were saying. I do know you took this discussion away from a neat old rifle and into and area of ethics and I still don't know what this has to do with the rifle or it's source. You are going to have to work a lot harder than this to run me off.

I sure would like to know more about the rifle and especially its true value. It's pretty public that I paid $500 for this rifle and every one says I got a bargain, but what is it really worth? I understand the significance of the Tower lock but what else about the rifle makes it so special. I know Martinis and can recognize the subtleties in those guns, but not Sniders.
Douglas
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue May 24, 2011 10:21 pm

I'm good with getting back on topic. Sorry I got off on a tangent. :bigsmile: