Navy Seal who murdered a prisoner

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

Navy Seal who murdered a prisoner

Post by Niner » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:00 pm

"A decorated Navy SEAL was acquitted Tuesday of murder in the killing of a wounded Islamic State captive under his care in Iraq in 2017."

His team members said he stabbed a teen aged prisoner in the neck....that he and his team, by the way, didn't capture. An accomplice testified he finished off the prisoner as an excuse for why the Seal shouldn't be held accountable. He was said by his team members to have shot civilians including a girl and an old man from a distance as a Medic-sniper previously. He was found guilty of one count of posing with the murdered prisoner while taking his reenlistment oath. He also posted the photo online with the dead man saying he got him with his knife.

Probably a lot of Navy Seals are either feeling real proud or really ashamed tonight.

The court that let him go on all significant charges and that makes me ashamed to be an American tonight.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Navy Seal who murdered a prisoner

Post by Niner » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:28 pm

The one count he was found guilty of..... it's considered bad form to have a picture made posing with an enemy corpse while taking his oath of re-enlistment ...he was sentenced for today. He got no further jail time than what he served when arrested, lost one pay grade and forfeited some of his pay for four months. He plans on bouncing back from his mistakes...he says.

"President Donald Trump, who intervened earlier this year to have Gallagher moved from the brig to less restrictive confinement, tweeted congratulations to the SEAL and his family." AP.

“You have been through much together. Glad I could help!” the president wrote." AP.

Men used to get dishonorable discharges for less than the least of what he was accused of doing.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:24 pm

Lt. William Calley, the only man charged in the Vietnam My Lai Massacre was convicted of killing
22 South Vietnamese civilians. He was originally charged with killing 109, out of the several hundred
that were killed that day. His punishment was house arrest in his quarters at Ft Benning for 3.5 years.
So by comparison, Calley served less than 2 months of house arrest for each of the 22 deaths he was
convicted of. The Navy Seal spent 4 months in custody, twice as much per victim.
It doesn't really bother me that he killed that guy, maybe I'm just a bad person, but to me it was just
one less enemy to try to kill our troops. But it's over and everyone can just move on.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:43 pm

That Calley thing is why this gets under my skin. I don't think he served more than a couple of months of house arrest thanks to Nixon. Calley's CO got nothing. Remember how those of us who didn't kill prisoners or civilians took the heat from Calley after we came home? Remember the Baby killer remarks. Some girl walked up to me in an airport on the way home from Vietnam and spit in my face because I was wearing a uniform.

I remember a guy who was messed up by a mine planted on the edge of a field and a farmer plowing that field. Nobody killed the farmer....he probably knew the edge of the field was mined but was caught between us and the VC and we knew it. I remember a couple of prisoners in Cambodia after we had been fighting for a couple of days. Nobody killed them for surrendering.

I wouldn't expect the services to give out medals for not killing prisoners but, in my estimation, they shouldn't act like it doesn't matter when someone does murder a prisoner or shoot civilians. It reflects on those who served their country and played by the rules.