D-Day memorabilia

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

D-Day memorabilia

Post by Miller Tyme » Sun May 12, 2013 9:02 am

I spent yesterday with my dad down at the Marina working on his dock and came back with some rather cool stuff from milestones in his life.

My dad served with the 82nd in WW2 and jumped on Sainte-Mere-Eglise on D-Day and recieved the purple heart for schrapnel wounds in his leg on D-Day +2.

He gave me the bible he was issued as a member of the 82nd along with his compass, and a bible he was given over in Normandy when he visited for the 50th anniversary in 1994.

My dad also gave me some cool stuff from his days as a Cincinnati Firefighter, his uniform dress hat, his last issued fire hat, a fire call box he was given on his retirement and a fireplug ( all 300#'s of it) which is still waiting for me to pick up. These will eventally be put on display in a place of honor in my gun room

“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner
Site Admin

Re: D-Day memorabilia

Post by Niner » Sun May 12, 2013 11:16 am

Wow. Those are some items to pass down in the family for all time. Your dad was no doubt on the sharp end of the spear that made up "the greatest" generation. Anyone interested in St. Mere-Eglese museum, Duncan posted some photos in this string.

http://www.milsurpafterhours.com/bb/vie ... =42&t=5500

The other day the last "Honor Flight" for WWII veterans from my area took a plane load of WWII veterans to Washington to see the WWII memorial. The numbers are fading fast for veterans of a war that has been over nearly 68 years.
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Re: D-Day memorabilia

Post by Miller Tyme » Sun May 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Niner wrote:Wow. Those are some items to pass down in the family for all time. Your dad was no doubt on the sharp end of the spear that made up "the greatest" generation. Anyone interested in St. Mere-Eglese museum, Duncan posted some photos in this string.

http://www.milsurpafterhours.com/bb/vie ... =42&t=5500

The other day the last "Honor Flight" for WWII veterans from my area took a plane load of WWII veterans to Washington to see the WWII memorial. The numbers are fading fast for veterans of a war that has been over nearly 68 years.

I took my dad to the ground breaking for the WW2 Memorial back in 2001, it was a great time, got to meet a survivor of the Battan Death March and a couple of Medal of Honor recipents. The wife and I took him and a friend of his ( he served in subs) back in 2004 for the dedication of the Memorial and the people of Washington treated the like hero's. Got to meet one of the Navajo code talkers that won the Medal of Honor on that trip as well as several Tuskegee Air Men. It was a memory for the ages.

We are now making plans to take him and my mom to New Orleans next June to the WW2 Museum for the 70th Anniversary of D_Day.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin