I thought the WWII museum in NO. was something

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

I thought the WWII museum in NO. was something

Post by Niner » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:30 pm

The National Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning Georgia is going to become a seventy million dollar home for a lot of history. Check out this site. Among other things they are saving some key wooden building from the WWII post that otherwise would have been torn down. One was General Patton's quarters at one time before WWII.

http://www.nationalinfantryfoundation.org/home.shtml

"The National Infantry Museum and Heritage Park will be built on 200 acres connecting Columbus, Georgia, and Fort Benning, the Home of the Infantry. It will include a 170,000 square foot museum, a collection and restoration facility, a memorial walk of honor and a parade field where 30,000 soldiers will graduate from Infantry training each year.

The Foundation is continuing to raise funds toward its goal of $70 million. Groundbreaking on the new facility is expected in fall 2004, with completion anticipated in late 2006."

The buildings to be saved have been moved and are being put in shape. They have raised about $30 million so far.
df357

Post by df357 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:42 am

With any luck, the DDay museum hasn't been floated away or looted. A real shame and loss to us all if it's been damaged in any way.

I fear for the worst.