Road Trip for an Old Warrior

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Road Trip for an Old Warrior

Post by Miller Tyme » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:37 pm

Leaving Wednesday Morning on a road trip with my Dad, mom, and wife to New Orleans to visit the National WW2 Museum to celebrate the 70th Anniversery of the D-Day Invasion. Dad was with the 82nd and jumped on Sainte Mère Eglise, and recieved a purple heart for wounds recieved from a German gernade on D-Day plus 2.

After we leave the Big Easy on Saturday the next stop is Mobile to visit the BB-60, The USS Alabama, his uncle (Andrew Miller) served on the Alabama from it's commissioning 1942-1946.

After that we are going to Fort Mitchell National Cemetery in Seale, Alabama to visit the Memorial to the HMT Rohna which was sunk in the Mediterian in November, 1943 claiming the life of 1,015 US Army soliders including another of his uncles ( T/5 Harold R.Hamilton).

Then it's off to Charleston S.C. so the wives can do some shoping while my Dad and I visit Patriots Point to tour of CV10, The USS Yorktown and DD724, the USS Laffey, which provided fire support for US troops during the Normandy Campagian.

The wife and I figured this was the least we could do for this 88 year old WW2 and Korean Veteran.

This is a pic of Dad taken 2 years ago @ WPAFB during the B-25 fly-in for the 70th Anniversery of the Doolittle Raid.

“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Road Trip for an Old Warrior

Post by Niner » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:30 pm

When you visit the Alabama you will see some more planes. One of them is like the one your dad would have jumped out of on D Day.
Attachments
DSC02977.jpg
DSC02982.jpg
DSC02986.jpg
DSC02979.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:45 am

I took this in the Airborn Museum in St.Mere-Eglise in 2008 along with a host of other images. Has your Dad been there? If not I can send you a CD with the images on it for him, let me know.
Attachments
CURRAHEE.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Miller Tyme

Post by Miller Tyme » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:01 am

Dad has found memories of the C-47's Robert, one of his favorite planes, (unlike the C46 which he truely hates).

Duncan he was over in Normandy for the 50th Anniversery back in 94 and spent 2 weeks touring the area with several days in Paris and London. He had a great time and was treated like royalty. He told me this past weekend if he is still on the green side of the grass in 5 years we are making the trip for the 75th.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:02 am

Good for him, have a great time!
If tyou do manage it let me know and I might be able to meet up with you!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:43 pm

Those of us who came after "The Greatest Generation", I always felt that our deeds seemed
to pale by comparison to theirs.
Please shake his hand and tell him, "Thank You", from me.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:23 am

Sounds like a great trip MT, best wishes to yourself and family.

Joe
Miller Tyme

Post by Miller Tyme » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Well 13 hours and we are in the Big Easy, and just in time for a Party in the Park across the street in Lafeyette Park

e
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:14 pm

In the morning go to the river side of the park to the Cafe Du Monde and have some French Market coffee and beignets. You haven't been to New Orleans until you've done that.
Attachments
DCP_2077.jpg
DCP_2082.jpg
Miller Tyme

Post by Miller Tyme » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:07 am

Well we are back home, had to cut the trip short after our stop in Mobile, the heat and humidity was to much for Pops so we came back Sunday and will finish our vacation @ the Marina.
Here are a couple of pic's of him @ the WW2 Museum, will post more after we finish our vacation.

Dad autographing a helmet of a WW2 reanactor

Talking shop with some WW2 reanactor's

Dad at the Ceramony to present 17 WW2 Vets with the French Legion of Honour by the French Consulate General Jean-Claude Brunet

P.S. Robert you are so right, thanks for the tip, went Thursday afternoon to the Cafe Du Monde and had some French Market coffee and beignets, they where fantastic! :mrgreen: