A BIT OF A SHOCK..........

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

A BIT OF A SHOCK..........

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:45 am

I was waiting for my Mother this morning having parked near the War Memorial in Blaye. I was idly looking at the names when this plaque caught my eye and for a few seconds I was quite shocked.
I shouldn't have been as I know that many French people were sent to concentration camps during the occupation and they are commemorated in street names and squares but I was not expecting to see this which brought it home to me with a bit of a jolt.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Re: A BIT OF A SHOCK..........

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:49 pm

Please explain the connection and why you were shocked?

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:37 am

Vern, as you know, during the Occupation of various European countries by the Germans between 1938 and 1945, they instigated a policy of eradication, not only of the Jews but also Gypsies, Homosexuals and the mentally ill among many others.
Although it is impossible to accurately state the number,s a figure of around 17.5 million is possible of which 2.85 million died in concentration camps.

Figures of this magnitude are sometimes difficult to grasp but the 3 names on the memorial felt almost personal to me, even though I did not know them.

I have travelled widely around France since 1965 and as well as visiting the battlefields and the War Cemeteries I have also seen the local memorials in the local cemeteries or at places where the Germans carried out reprisals and mass round ups.

Four people from Blaye seem like grains of sand in the grand totals but they were still people with family and friends. Were they betrayed to the Germans? Were the French Police involved in their deportation?

It just seemed rather personal for a few moments, the world closed in on me and those names then it was market day again, waiting for my Mother.

I can't explain it any better..........
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Actually, I think you did a very good job of explaining it...........thank you.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.