The draft in Vietnam became a lottery in 1970

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

The draft in Vietnam became a lottery in 1970

Post by Niner » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:30 pm

The Ken Burns Vietnam story is on Public TV now over a series of shows over a couple of weeks. Three have already run and they are very interesting and worth watching. If you are in the US you can watch all of them on PBS online eventually.

If you would like to see if you would have been drafted in 1970, if you were draft age male in America, put in your birthday month and day to see how you would have made out in this link. It seems that my number would have been 232 and I would have escaped by one day of birth the numbers drafted in 1970. A birthday of the day before would have been drafted. Only problem was .....I was in Vietnam at the time and had been drafted in the early summer of 1969 when there was no lottery... they just took the oldest on the list first. My student deferment had run out after four years. I had to go another quarter to get all my credit requirements and managed to do that. I graduated college one month and was drafted the next.

https://www.usatoday.com/vietnam-war/draft-picker
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: The draft in Vietnam became a lottery in 1970

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:22 pm

You can watch the first 5 episodes now, and the other 5 at the link below on Sept 24.
Although I don't watch tv on my computer, some folks know how to hook computer to tv, I never tried.
Some episodes are 1.5 hours and some are 2 hours. I think the series is very interesting.

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/watch/
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.