Just heard this on a retro radio site...

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Just heard this on a retro radio site...

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:56 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyr7P8VCPDg

Makes you think.................. :USA: :AUS:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Re: Just heard this on a retro radio site...

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Makes you think what?? It's just another protest song......... :roll:

Good video, but have already seen it. Someday I might get the t-shirt that says.....
"Vietnam....... if you weren't there....shut the fuck up." ............ :mrgreen:

It's true, the people that seem most upset about Vietnam..... were never there...... :roll:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:49 pm

Country Joe sang that at Woodstock in 1969 and it is probably the only song he ever sang that anybody remembers. It has a memory for me. At the butt end of 1970 when I was just about due to be sent back to the states from Vietnam I came back to Phu Bai in the 101st on stand down and got put in this HQ hooch with some battalion clerks. One of them had one of those Reel to Reel tape players and he had just got a copy of the Woodstock tape. I was trying to get some sleep and the clerks were smoking grass and "grooving" on it and feeling all sympathetic as the Woodstock people tried to shelter from a rain storm or something that the guy on the tape was talking about. The 1st Sgt came along and could smell the pot through the screened in camp building. Think at least one of them swallowed the joint he was smoking. 1st Sgt. wasn't amused. I just wanted to get back to a firebase and away from the remfs before something I didn't do got pinned on me.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:48 am

Makes you think back to those days and all the 'anti's' in the world at the time...........
This one - Fonda - Simon & Garfunkle, 7'0 clock news / silent night - in fact if you look here you will probably be amazed at the number of 'Anti War' songs that exist, starting with the American Civil War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... am_War_era
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 am

I didn't mind the anti war songs that I remember. Nobody is more anti war than the guy who finds himself on the shooting end of a war...particularly a war in which his country isn't under attack... like WWII was. We didn't like being blamed for Vietnam either, as though it was our idea. Most Vietnam soldiers that I know remember humming to themselves an Animals song the went "I got to get out of this place.... if it's the last thing I ever do. Girl there's a better life for me and you". That was our anti war song.

At the same time, many of us resented the ones that ran away and didn't take their chances along with us. This includes people who found a way to avoid it without getting into some legal tangle..... like Bill the Scholar in England, or a certain Mormon who went to France to convert Frenchmen to a religion no Frenchman in his right mind would be interested in, or George the second who got a safe assignment in the National Guard in Alabama...from Texas.. or.... or.... a guy who had bone spurs.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:26 pm

Not to mention the ones that went to Canada, and Carter forgave them......... :roll:
Yes, the 1965 "We Gotta Get out of This Place" by the Animals was truly our anthem in Nam
and I remember drinking beer and singing it real loud........ :mrgreen:
"For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield was another favorite that we sang, although neither
song was written as a Viet Nam protest song, they both were popular there.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.