A celebration in Vietnam. A Viet Cong reunion

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

A celebration in Vietnam. A Viet Cong reunion

Post by Niner » Fri May 04, 2018 12:45 pm

A friend of mine was a platoon sergeant in Vietnam in 1969. Niner Delta served with him in the same company. He and I were instigators of a battalion reunion in Branson in 2015 and we have known each other for years now. Decades after Vietnam he went back on several visits and ended up marrying a girl he had known when he was a soldier. He now has a home in Vietnam and one in the US and spends part of each year in each country. He recently went to a celebration in his wife's old village of former Viet Cong and mentions it at my other site. It's quite interesting to me what he tells of that party he went to, and might be interesting to others....particularly those who served in Vietnam...... to get a history lesson in what was once and what is now and how resilient the people in Vietnam are in spite of painful personal family history caused by that war.

http://www.6thofthe31st.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4103
joseyclosey

Re: A celebration in Vietnam. A Viet Cong reunion

Post by joseyclosey » Sat May 05, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks for posting that link Robert, it's a very thought provoking thread.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sun May 06, 2018 4:30 am

Thanks from me too, Robert, very interesting and bears out the things that I hear from our vets who have gone back on trips.
I was much involved on the supply side, repairing small arms, during our involvement in Vietnam.
I had the opportunity of returning to full-time duty (I was in the reserve) and going there as a Sergeant Armourer but declined the offer.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Sun May 06, 2018 4:07 pm

We were both at the same small fire base at Vinh Kim, and I probably met his wife back then.
When he went back and found her and they married, my wife thought that was the most romantic
story of finding your lost love...... :D

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.