Am I the only one who has to skip over the opening scene in

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Brass Rat
Leading Member

Am I the only one who has to skip over the opening scene in

Post by Brass Rat » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:49 am

Saving Private Ryan?

I can deal with the rest of it, evan as brutal as the landing sequence is, but the cemetary is too much, I just go completely to pieces.

I have tried to explain it to Bob when he asks me what's wrong, but it's hard to make a 12 year old understand what those little white crosses represent.

Even after watching the rest of the movie he didn't really make the connection between the special effects in the movie and real people and events.

It was while we were watching Band of Brothers I think the light bulb finally turned on for him.

After growing up with an endless stream of bloodless Pokemon "battles" I could see in his face that he was starting to connect the real veterans in the interviews with the death and distruction in the movie.

I am not trying to scare or upset him but I want him to understand the price that has been, and is still being paid so that he can sit comfortably and safely in his room and watch Pokemon.
spearedum
Leading Member

Post by spearedum » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:43 pm

What bothered me in "Saving Pvt. Ryan" was watching the poor mother realizing one of her sons was KIA, but learning three of her son's would never come home.

That tore my heart out.

My duty as an American citizen is to protect my country, and if hitting that beach was my job I would do it. I would hate it and I'd be terrified, but I would not want my kids to live under a dictater.

Being a combat vet has cemented that notion into my brain, and I never can to back.

Thanx dante'

:CA: :salute:
"We do not stop laughing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop laughing!"

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear: DRIVE FASTER!!!
I found the mirror at a wrecked race car at California (AAA) Speedway
stripperclip
Leading Member

Post by stripperclip » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:06 pm

I understand about the cross's I took my wife to the hospital the other day and went by the national cemetary and a burial was in progress and it took a little while to get over it.
stripperclip
txpete

Post by txpete » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:44 pm

the first burial detail I pulled as a new sp/5 was in ga.we had to bury a guy that was a pow in nam came home and then killed by a drunk driver crossing the street.that tore my heart out.

pete
spearedum
Leading Member

Post by spearedum » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:23 pm

Sad :| The guy makes it home from Nam, and gets killed by a drunk driver.

Dante'
"We do not stop laughing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop laughing!"

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear: DRIVE FASTER!!!
I found the mirror at a wrecked race car at California (AAA) Speedway
mosinmama

Post by mosinmama » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:46 pm

We just did a burial 2 weeks ago. i was fine with it until Taps played. Wow that is a really powerful song. i had heard it before ,. seen the words for it before, but never really hit me until that funeral. you bet i was standing there at present arms with tears going down my face. i didnt even know the person but just the fact of what he went through in iraq and what taps means.
Niner
Site Admin

Welcome to the forums mosinmama

Post by Niner » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:36 pm

From what you post I know you have a heart and soul. I wonder sometimes if the younger generation does

Judging from your post you know the meaning of Tapps as well as is possible to know it already.. I welcome you.