March without your guns, says mayor

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Post by Karl/Pa. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:55 pm

Nov 8 2007 by Our Correspondent, Western Mail

A MAYOR sparked a row by asking soldiers to lay down their guns before marching in this Sunday’s Remembrance Day parade.

Chepstow town councillor Hilary Beach says the 1 Rifles Army regiment, based at nearby Beachley Barracks, should not carry their weapons during the ceremony because of the rising tide of gun crime across the country.

Veterans’ groups criticised her comments as “ridiculous” .

Ms Beach said the ceremony should be a time for peace and not conflict.

She said, “I would prefer there not be any guns at the Remembrance Day parade – it is a personal issue for me.

“I want to make it clear that I hold Remembrance Day as extremely important and it is vital that members of the Armed Forces are in attendance.

“However, I have always thought about Remembrance Day as a time for peace and to remember those who have lost their lives in combat.”

Ms Beach said her proposal was not supported by fellow members at a recent town council meeting but that she stood by her convictions.

Tom King, president of the Chepstow branch of the Royal British Legion, which is organising the town’s ceremony, said the mayor’s idea was political correctness gone mad.

“What she said is ridiculous. It is nonsense,” he said.

“The regiment is called the Rifles, and rifles are an important part of their uniform and their kit – they would feel naked without them.”

An Army spokesperson said, “Weapons are normally carried by Army personnel when on any kind of parade. Members of the 1 Rifles will be carrying weapons in the Chepstow Remembrance Day parade and this has been agreed by the event’s organisers.”

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wal ... -20078458/
Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:46 am

"...Chepstow town councillor Hilary Beach says the 1 Rifles Army regiment, based at nearby Beachley Barracks, should not carry their weapons during the ceremony because of the rising tide of gun crime across the country..."

It strikes me that Ms Beach is another member of the 'Rubber spoon' squad - the sooner she's out of office, the better.

Tom
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

WORDS FAIL ME...........

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:50 am

Well, repeatable ones do. At least, if she is a Ms we may be lucky and she won't breed :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:38 pm

Words don`t fail me, i think Ms. Beach is a f******g knobhead!! :evil:

Joe
PeterN2

Well said

Post by PeterN2 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:29 pm

Nicely put Joe. How the hell can she connect a military parade with gun crime? She is not only a knobhead but an effing idiot.

Regards

Peter.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:03 am

I see that "Dumbass" is a world wide problem.

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.