THE GURKHAS

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

Re: THE GURKHAS

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:03 pm

Why would they ever want to be in the British Army anyway? They were not exactly treated like they were welcome. Even if they made it 15 to 30 years to retirement out of the military they were not treated in a way that would seem to inspire a military career to begin with.
Historically, they received a much smaller pension - at least six times less - than British soldiers, on the grounds that the cost of living is much lower in Nepal.

But with more choosing to settle permanently in the UK with their families, campaigners said this left them suffering considerable economic hardship.

They won a partial victory in March 2007, when Defence Minister Derek Twigg announced that all those who retired after July 1997 would get the same pension as the rest of the Army.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:37 am

Niner wrote:Why would they ever want to be in the British Army anyway? They were not exactly treated like they were welcome. Even if they made it 15 to 30 years to retirement out of the military they were not treated in a way that would seem to inspire a military career to begin with.
Historically, they received a much smaller pension - at least six times less - than British soldiers, on the grounds that the cost of living is much lower in Nepal.

But with more choosing to settle permanently in the UK with their families, campaigners said this left them suffering considerable economic hardship.

They won a partial victory in March 2007, when Defence Minister Derek Twigg announced that all those who retired after July 1997 would get the same pension as the rest of the Army.
WHY? Maybe you would have to ask a Gurkha but here is a passage from the book " Gurkhas " by Sandro Tucci and JP Cross which might give you some insight.

"There is a very interesting interrelation between British Officers and Gurkha soldiers, which I have never seen in any other army. It is a kind of gentleness, of affection, which I guess makes war a little more bearable."
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:28 am

You got me wondering if Gurkhas had any officers in the British Army. Found this in a Wikopedia search:
Of note, however, was the fact that commissioned officers within the Gurkha regiments held what was called a Viceroy's Commission, which was distinct from a King's or Queen's Commission that British officers serving with a Gurkha regiment held. Essentially what this meant is that all Gurkhas holding a commission were technically subordinate to British officers, regardless of rank.

Not knowing much of anything about Gurkhas, looks like they are part mercenary and part a hold over from the old maternal British Empire although, whatever their status, they are still officially citizens of Napal. Probably difficult to assign them a place in the 21st Century. Maybe they need a National Association for the Advancement of Gurkhas Assoction?
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Fri May 01, 2009 7:00 am

I believe that Wiki entry may be a little out of date - for one thing, there hasn't been a viceroy since 1947 and even before that, GMcD Fraser recalled being in an Officer Training Uint with both a Ghurka and a Sikh candidate (hardly likely if only part of the group were to be given regular commissions).

Tom
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like a successful conclusion

Post by Woftam » Thu May 21, 2009 3:35 pm

All Gurkha veterans who retired before 1997 with at least four years' service will be allowed to settle in the UK, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith has said.

Ms Smith told MPs she was "proud to offer this country's welcome to all who have served in the brigade of Gurkhas". (Better late than never)

It comes after a high-profile campaign by Joanna Lumley and other supporters of Gurkha rights - and an embarrassing Commons defeat for the government.

Some 36,000 Gurkhas who left before 1997 had been denied UK residency.

Ms Lumley, the actress who has been the public face of the campaign on behalf of the Gurkhas, said: "This is the welcome we have always longed to give."

She called Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who she had met earlier, a "brave man who has made today a brave decision on behalf of the bravest of the brave". (Must be a change from the other things he's been called)

Gurkhas, who are recruited from Nepal, have been part of the British Army for almost 200 years.

'Sacrifice and distinction'

Shadow home secretary Chris Grayling said the U-turn by the government was a "great victory for a well-run campaign, that has publicly embarrassed ministers".

He said it was a shame that the government had had to be dragged "kicking and screaming" to the decision.(Too bloody right)

I'm sure it was your email that did it Duncan :lol:
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri May 22, 2009 1:24 pm

I wish it was G!

I wrote to my MP ( I can still vote in the UK) and received a 3 page waste of space as a reply saying how good the Labour Government had been in the past to the GURKHAS. Don't know who the stupid bitch thought I was but I shall be checking her expenses carefully.

Having watched the news over the last 2 weeks I am not surprised that the country is in such a mess - it just surprises me that there was enough room in the trough for all of the bastards :evil:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Fri May 22, 2009 3:12 pm

The Ghurkhas deserved this .
The Goverment in the UK is a joke we must be a laughing stock.
Its time for a election unfotunately the alternative isnt any better.
They are all as bent as each other.
The country is shagged.