Funny parades and such

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Aughnanure

Funny parades and such

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:32 pm

I may have mentioned this before but what the heck! I'm getting old enough to have the forgots.

I was a member of a CMF (now Reserves) RAEME unit that had some strange parades. Some nights there used to be a Craftsman wearing the rank of First Lieutenant, other times one of the Corporals would be in the uniform of another service and on others a Craftsman would turn up wearing kharki but with different badges of rank, belt and buckle and always walking shoes instead of boots.

Because of committments after the parade (or in the case of one, possibly during), that did not give them time to change, the CO used to allow these anomalies.

The Craftsman/Lieutenant was a school teacher and held Officer rank with School Cadets.

The Corporal was a Fireman at the local Fire Station, which was about 100 yards down the road so if he was on duty he'd turn up in Brigade uniform and the other Craftsman was the local Scout Master.

On another note, but none the less not the usual run of things. In 1954, in Korea, 3RAR Signals Platoon got a new Pronto and a handover parade was held. Not just any hand over but complete with the RSM as 'Master of Ceremonies' and the CO. Colonel 'Spin' Buckler officiating. Seems that 'Spin' appreciated the work that we'd done so much that he decided that the occassion should be a Commanding Officer's Parade, and he said as much.

Head swelling was general.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.