do not ask for a FM from Plei Jurang!

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

spearedum
Leading Member

do not ask for a FM from Plei Jurang!

Post by spearedum » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:12 am

New stragity at our flash OP along the Ia Drang Valley... we were getting probed from our north towards the fortified ville of Plei Jurang. We knew that a call to S3 (FDC) would take ~40 minutes just for smoke... unless we called for a defensive target (DT).

We would have to be totally involved before a DT would be enguaged. but Plei Jurang had a 4Douce mortor that would reach our OP, so we requested a fire mission from their FDC.

I radioed in the coordinates of the enemy, and waited for the smoke round to adjust fire. NO smoke...

We contacted Plei Jurang... they fired 3600 mils (180 egrees) off target! We 'checked fired' the missiom, and contacted the 5th. SF and used their twin 50's to defeat the probe.

Thanx Dante' :roll:
Brass Rat
Leading Member

There's something a bit more comforting

Post by Brass Rat » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:24 am

in direct fire.
spearedum
Leading Member

Post by spearedum » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:49 pm

Yes, the 50's would be able to cover the east side of our mt, as they were 2-4 klicks away at the ville. Unfortunally, they were on the oposite side from the Ia Drang and Cambodia. They had a 4 Douce & 81mm morters that were used when we were hit from the Trail.

We also had two DT's so if we're hit hard Camp Enari would send 155mm's or 8" in a hurry. But, if we were just probed we had to defend ourselves. It would take 35-45 minutes to get a smoke round to adjust fire, as all the villege cheifs had to clear the fire mission. We'd be throw'n down frags, touching off claymores, firing off both 60's, M-16's, tossin rock and C-rats!(ham & eggs, choped).

There may have been a few times that we were a little OVER ZELLUS, but I say again... yada yada yada I'm still here!

Thanx Dante' :mrgreen:
"We do not stop laughing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop laughing!"

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear: DRIVE FASTER!!!
I found the mirror at a wrecked race car at California (AAA) Speedway
wh12725
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wh12725 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:21 pm

We never had good results with 4.2's. Thought maybe we just had worn out tubes....but now it sounds like others had problems as well. Ours were not allowed in a direct support mode, only H & I's and illumination. That big round was devastating, just didn't know where it was going.
wh12725
LECS 03C1016
spearedum
Leading Member

Post by spearedum » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:01 pm

That 4 douse save my life many a night, so maybe the SF's had primo stuff. Their side of the Mt. was ~three - four klicks, while the the Cambodian side was five- 10 klicks.

The problem I had was when FDC throu the 175mm's at us. The barrels were so long, they drouped when the lanyeard was pulled. Fortinally, we usely received 155mm action durring fire missions.

When we took out new 2Lt's for FM practice got harroing; they called in 109mm's and they called um real close. We were hugging the ground, but there were times they droped expended shrapmel on my back... burned holes in my shirt and left a welt!

If I was Kerry.. another Purple Heart.

Thanx Dante'
"We do not stop laughing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop laughing!"

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear: DRIVE FASTER!!!
I found the mirror at a wrecked race car at California (AAA) Speedway