Hey Geezers

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Hey Geezers

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Niner Delta wrote:Actually, Hendrix was a very talented guitar player, one of the best. You didn't like the music he played, but that's OK, a lot of people like you just didn't get it.

Vern.
Each to their own Vern, as you and I know of old :cool: but I never liked him or his music (sic)
As far as Woodstock goes, I can say that of the artists that played I prefer the following............

Tim Hardin
Canned Heat
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Who
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

That probably tells it all? :lol:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:55 pm

Amazing, Duncan. I didn't know you were that aware.

I watched Woodstock the Directors Cut recently. Think I paid maybe $5 for it. Some of the acts from the event still hold up pretty good over time. Santana was good as he gets. The stranger than fiction Joe Cocker getting by with a little help from his friends comes through still. Of the groups you mention, I think Crosby Stills and Nash still seems fresh and gave a first rate performance, but the Who doesn't cut it, looking back from today. And Hendrix was in his own "Purple Haze" and a great guitar player to boot.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:32 am

And don't forget Jefferson Airplane and The Grateful Dead.

Oh, and it was only Crosby, Stills, & Nash at that point, Neil Young did perform a few songs with them, but didn't join the group until later.

At the time of Woodstock, I had just arrived in Hawaii from Nam. I was so happy that I don't remember anything about it at the time.

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:27 pm

If I might add a slightly cynical touch to the 'attitudes to servicemen' aspect of this thread.

I see the 'Thank you for your service' comments appearing on other sites, unfortunately there is one piece of doggeral which always seems to lurk in the back of my mind:-

"God and the soldier, we adore
In time of danger (Not before)
Danger past and all things righted
God is forgotten, the soldier slighted.
Anon. (?)

The public is a fickle animal.
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
riptidenj
Contributing Member

Post by riptidenj » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:34 pm

I was home on leave (I was in the Army) between assignments, I remember hearing about it on the radio and thinking those kids are absolutely crazy. The one person I knew who was there said the place stunk to high heaven, hippie and counterculture types weren't too keen on personal hygiene.
I never encountered any hostility when I was on AD 1967-1971, and that includes a year in Germany 1970-71. I lived (still do) in a fairly liberal town, when I got back from Vietnam even people who weren't that keen on our participation were glad to see me in one piece. (I came back without a scratch.)
One thing I have noticed is that those serving today often have a rather aloof and almost unfriendly attitude to us "civilians". Whenver I meet anyone in uniform I always introduce myself as an enlisted Vietnam veteran and retired
Reserve officer (1967-1998-I was a soldier in form or another for 31 years), yet the reaction is almost always in form if not in words "Big Deal!" One another board I visit several retirees have said when they go on post for shopping or medical care they also encounter an attitude of indifference if not disdain.
And I don't care for Hendrix' guitar playing-on a par with Janis Joplin's singing(?).
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:47 am

And I don't care for Hendrix' guitar playing-on a par with Janis Joplin's singing(?).
;)
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:29 pm

At least you could tell that both Joplin and Hendrix were unique and could be recognized right away by the distinctive sound of their voices, music and style. Nobody else ever came close to sounding like either of them....ever. Not to suggest you have to like them. Most of the singers today all sound the same to me within their own variety of music and are distinguished only by gender. They have the same inflections in the voice and the same copycat styles. Country singers all have the same accent twang to go with the drugstore cowboy hat. Rap is worse, just mumbled words to a formula cadence.