How we got sucked into Vietnam

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

How we got sucked into Vietnam

Post by Niner » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:14 pm

Bill Moyers had a good show last night on PBS about White House recorded phone conversations that show what President Johnson was thinking as he asked for advice and as he continued to up the anti in the Vietnam War. The parallel to Obama and what may happen in Afganistan is pointed to by Moyers at the end.

One thing about it, to me, is that he knows he is making a mistake every time he adds more troops. He senses his path will develope into a tragedy. Yet, he is drawn into it like a moth to a flame.

It's in two parts and probably will be up for a day or two.

Click on the big picture for part one, and part two is in the box to the top right.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/11202009/watch.html
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: How we got sucked into Vietnam

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:26 pm

Rather than look at the link I decided to post my own thoughts, sort of 'virginal' if you like.

The following points seem to me to be totally relevant - but in no particular order...............

* The Afghans are ALWAYS going to be corrupt as are any of the Arab / African States / Countries. It's their nature..............
* No amount of western military intervention / training will change corruption.
* The only funding that the 'insurgents' have is from the poppy crops.
* The best way to remove that funding is to destroy ALL of the poppy crops.
* If you destroy the crops the local populace will have to have some other crop to allow them to live.
* GIVE THEM seed to grow and a one off cash payment to support them until the first harvest is due.
* Tell them that any crop other than the designated one will be destroyed and NO FURTHER support will be given.
* Tell them that they AND ONLY THEY are responsible for spending the cash support payment - if it is stolen or 'donated' then that's their hard luck.
* Put ALL terrorists on notice that they will be hit in their base areas but do not use ground troops to do it. Bombing / Drones / Missiles but no
ground insurgents.
* Warn all 'ethnic' minorities / immigrants in your country that unless they support the law and government of the country that they live in they
will be re-repatriated to their country of origin without any possibility of appeal.

In conclusion, I do not think that any regimen in the Arab/Asian/Afghani / Muslim or Israeli world is worth the life of one NATO / AMERICAN soldier.

I am sick to the back teeth with all the do-gooders and politicians who keep getting our military killed for no reason whatsoever other than their own
self-righteous gratification. Enough is ENOUGH...............Bring them home.