The land of the brave and home of the free

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

The land of the brave and home of the free

Post by Niner » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:22 pm

I just saw this story in the local paper. Seems this WWII MOH winner has run into a problem with raising a flag in his front yard. Hard to believe this is happening. Now if it had been the stars and bars....its happening in Virginia... maybe I could see it.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579147,00.html
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: The land of the brave and home of the free

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:49 am

Well, at the risk of being called a killjoy, I have to agree with the association and not the vet :cry: He is now part of a community and not living on his own.
Just because he has done it elsewhere for X years does not mean he has a right to do it there. Fly a flag by all means but he could quite easily have a smaller one and maybe a smaller pole on the wall of his house . If he originally asked and was told no then he has only himself to blame for the current problem in my opinion.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:42 am

I must disagree with you Duncan. This man deserves to have his flag, he has earned it and more. He is 90 years old and won't live forever, the association would do itself a favor by quietly letting him have his flag with the agreement that his family remove the pole when he is gone.
So what if it sets a presedent, all the assoc has to say is that any WWII MOH winner can have a flagpole. That way the assoc are the good guys in the public eye and he gets to keep his well earned flag. Don't you think that sometimes the rules can bend a little, especially for a 90 year old genuine hero?

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:11 am

There are plenty of things in this life we can't do for the good of all...like not running red lights and not letting our pittbulls run loose. Why do we have to have people who set themselves up as neighborhood authorities on how other people live when the people they dictate to are not hurting anybody or breaking any actual law?

I'd help this guy break that flag law if I lived anywhere near him. I was on flag raising detail at the main post at Ft. Sill once for a week, a long time ago, so I know how to make a show of it. I could dig out a pair of white gloves and chrome plate a helmit and starch up....well , whatever. It's a shame what's happening to him, I think.
oldironsights
Sustaining Member

Post by oldironsights » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:21 pm

Mark Levin has taken on his case & has aired the names of those seeking to deny the MOH Veteran the pleasure of flying the colors so many have died for.
Damned neighborhood nazis can be a real pain! :evil:
I moved out to the country to escape neighborhood associations & their inhibiting rules.
Now, I have one that is trying to force me to pay $200.00 per annum to pay for the maintenance of the lakefront view that the rich homeowners enjoy! :evil:
I live nowhere near the lake, yet they want to distribute the agony of maintaining an artificial dam on as many homeowners as possible.
Neighborhood tax & rules; City tax & rules; County tax & rules; State tax & rules; & National tax & rules.
Next up is a U.N. tax & more rules! :evil:

:salute:
If You Can Read This, Thank A Teacher!
If You Can Read This In English, Thank A Veteran!

Help save this retired fighting ship from the scrapyard;
http://www.ussorleck.org
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:05 am

Well I expected everyone to disagree with me so no surprise there.
In general I believe that the old adage of 'Buyer Beware' always makes sense. That goes for housing/neighbourhood associations.
I also said -
Fly a flag by all means but he could quite easily have a smaller one and maybe a smaller pole on the wall of his house .

Year ago I worked with a dyed in the wool Scottish Nationalist who lived in Glasgow. He was an amateur radio fanatic and wanted to put up a 30' mast in his back garden so he could get better reception. The local authority limited the height of ANY mast to 20' but Jack wasn't prepared to accept this so he installed his 30' pole mast and painted a 2"x1" :SCO: on the top and called it a flagpole :roll: Radio mast or flagpole it still blighted he neighbours outlook but he did it because that is what hew had at his previous house, in a different county and he didn't see why he should have to buy new kit that would have done the same job but would not have been so obvious.
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:59 pm

Flagpole + MOH winner.............radio antenna + Scottish nationalist.
These are two totally different situations that can not be compared. You are mixing apples and oranges, and coming up with sour grapes. I think you missed the point on this one. :roll:

Vern.

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:42 am

Fly a flag by all means but he could quite easily have a smaller one and maybe a smaller pole on the wall of his house .
I do not believe that past deeds or habits allow people to buck a system that they have recently become part of. If you don't agree with the system you joined well so be it but that does not giver you the right to ignore others who adhere to it. That goes for anyone not just this guy.
As for
I think you missed the point on this one.
well that's for others to say but it produced the same result - someone bucks the system and it affects others.
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:07 am

I can see what you are saying Duncan. I respect your opinion.

However. :rebel:
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:36 pm

Well Duncan, my last words on the subject are that you and I, as the gentlemen that we are, will just have to "agree to disagree". :D

Vern.