Pray for our Troops

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

BobB1
Contributing Member

Pray for our Troops

Post by BobB1 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:15 pm

My old outfit from Viet Nam is leaving today for their third tour in Iraq. A week ago I went to GA for the Casing of the Colors Ceremony in preparation for their deployment. For their first tour, we dug up the colors that we had in RVN, and they took those with them. I met one of the troopers that I will be sponsoring while they are deployed, the CO of my old company, who is a she. They have reorganized the battalion since I was in it. My old company is no longer a line company, but is a support company which is why they can have women in it. They all sure looked young, but looking back, we were younger. I had just turned 21, and was a platoon Sgt and acting platoon leader when we ran short of Lt's. I look at the 21 year olds I know now, and wouldn't want them to be responsible for the lives of 40 others in a combat situation.

They have a tough mission. They are responsible for the security and the training of the local security forces in Baghdad. When they were there the last time, there were 55 combat platoons in the same area. They have six this time. Unless they are actively taking fire, they can not respond or detain anyone with out a warrant signed by an Iraqi judge. It is a heck of a situation to put a combat force in.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Pray for our Troops

Post by Niner » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:08 pm

Many of us know young troops in either Iraq or Afganistan. I know two that came back from over there in the last year..one Army and one Marine. Dutch Mosin, one of our long time moderators, is over there now in Afganistan in the Dutch Army. Maybe it will end some day. But I'm not holding my breath.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Pray for our Troops

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:30 am

Unless they are actively taking fire, they can not respond or detain anyone with out a warrant signed by an Iraqi judge. It is a heck of a situation to put a combat force in.
'Rules of Engagement' ! Still got a copy of the NI ones somewhere, pity the opposition don't use the same :|
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.