People that one finds on the Internet

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Aughnanure

People that one finds on the Internet

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:58 am

Armourer with the 1st Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (1RAR) in Korea, is 2/3154 Sergeant (Sgt) Charles William (Charlie) Shearim, bearer of a well known name in rifle shooting in Australia. He is the son of the late Jimmy Shearim, after whom the trophy awarded to the top scorer of the three fighting services in their respective competitions is named. The elder Shearim died in 1934 after 38 years' service in the Australian Army. He represented Australia at Bisley, where he set records which are still standing, and is the only man in the British Commonwealth who took the Queen's Medal, for best shot in his own service, four times. All the Shearims are members of the Sydney Rifle Club, the oldest rifle club in Australia, but Sergeant Shearim is the best shot of them all. His ambitions are to win the Queen's Medal himself and also the trophy that bears his father's name. Despite the interruptions of overseas service he has already come close being twice second and once third for the Shearim, and having led until last of the four shoots in a 'Queen's". the late Jimmy Shearim and five of his six sons have established a total of 68 years' service in the Australian Army between them. Sergeant Shearim has no doubts that they will top the 70 mark easily. He says 'My youngest brother is due for his National Service this year and I feel sure that after a taste of the life he will join the Regular Army. If he does not, I'll put the score over 70 myself. The army is my career.' Sergeant Shearim has seen active service in Italy, New Guinea, Borneo, and Japan, and is now in his second tour of duty in Korea. (Original British Commonwealth Forces Korea (BCFK) Public Relations caption).
Charlie became my boss after I went back as a civilian Armourer in 1963. He was a good mate and not a bad boss :lol:
Last edited by Aughnanure on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Aughnanure

Re: People that one finds on the Internet

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:48 am

Charlie's Korean War service:
Unit History

24 July 1952 to the 24 July 1953: 3rd Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment
6 July 1954 to the 16 October 1954: 3rd Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment
11 November 1954 to the 24 February 1955: 1st Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment

He loved his job :!: :!:

Here's another of Charlie in typical pose:

2/3154 Sergeant Charles William Shearim, an armourer with the 1st Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (1RAR), of Lakemba, NSW, is taking part in rifle practice in preparation for a Commonwealth Division Rifle Meeting. (Original British Commonwealth Forces Korea (BCFK) Public Relations caption).
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.