Glenn Frazier signs his book for me

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

Glenn Frazier signs his book for me

Post by Niner » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:29 pm

If you saw Ken Burns epic PBS series The War, or read the best selling book that reflected it, you will remember a guy from Alabama named Glen Frazier who was captured on Bataan and lived through the infamous Death March and survived the hellish imprisonment by the Japs during the war.

Today, passing the Battleship Memorial Park in Mobile, I decided to stop by for a while and see if anything was new. When I walked in the lobby and gift shop area, there was this spry old man in an Army uniform with a chest full of medals. I noticed he was signing books. Turned out to be Glenn Frazier from that TV documentary series.

I talked to him for a while and he signed my copy and dated it. He told me about his website and how he makes speaking engagements. He also spends a lot of time at the Battleship Park signing copies of his book since he lives in the area.

He was real friendly and took time to talk with me. Wish I had gotten a photo of him and me together but didn't see anybody handy to take it.

It looks like if you wanted a signed copy you could order it from him for cheap enough. Follow the links at his site. He'll sign it for you at no additonal charge.

Can't wait to start reading the book. Oh, by the way Vern, he wasn't in the 31st Regiment.

His website is at http://www.HellsGuest.com
Attachments
cover.jpg
hellsguest.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Glenn Frazier signs his book for me

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:26 pm

The book is easy to order, they take Paypal so I ordered it.
This will give me something to read on our trip up to the Pacific Northwest. My wife and I are both from there so we are leaving in a couple of weeks for an extended trip. We recently bought a motorhome and won't be back until mid Sept.
Most RV parks have WiFi now, so you won't be getting rid of me that easy. :mrgreen:

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:42 pm

Ah...the adventure of the open road. Now, after a few things happen I'm going to try some of that too....but no motorhome. I'm thinking about getting a Mustang convertible.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:00 pm

We took a long trip in the wife's convertable, a PT Cruiser, in Jan & Feb, it was fun but we got tired of motels and restaurant food. That's when we decided to get a motorhome.
We learned years ago, we had an MGB for 10 years, that convertibles are fun if you take back roads at slower speeds. Any length of time with the top down at freeway speeds and the wind will just beat you to death, and it's uncomfortably noisy.
But if you're not in a hurry and want to enjoy the scenery, back roads in a convertible are some of the most enjoyable days we ever spent in a car.

Ary you thinking of new Mustang or vintage?

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:15 pm

I'm going new...or nearly new. You can pick up a "Program" model a year old with low miles for a substantial discount.... or you used to be able to do that. From my car selling days I think the Mustang is heavy enough and large enough to be confortable and the windshield deflects the wind over my head in the front seat at any speed with the top down. The noise doesn't bother me...got that old FO ringing ears anyway. What's noise? You should know how that is don't you Vern?
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:31 am

The wind actually attacks you from behind, goes over your head and then comes back at you from behind.
We rented a new Mustang a couple of years ago and didn't like the stiff ride or the hard seats for long drives. That ended our thoughts of getting a Mustang. We also rented a Chevy HHR and found it not to be very comfortable for long drives either. The PT Cruiser isn't the best for long drives, but we liked it much better than the Ford or Chevy.
In Jan & Feb we took the PT to Seattle (about 1850 miles each way) and it was comfortable enough even for me, and I'm almost 6'- 2" , just not much room for luggage.

The VA gave me hearing aids and if it gets too noisy I can take them out, but the constant roar was irritating.

Vern.