Untold Story of US Navy During Vietnam Evacuation

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Untold Story of US Navy During Vietnam Evacuation

Post by Karl/Pa. » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:49 pm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =129484369

This is an INCREDIBLE story about the American Navy at the end of the Vietnam War. If you have 13 minutes of time, listen to it (Part 1 of 3) and don't forget to read the story also. Thanks to NPR for telling a lost story that demonstrates the compassion, courage, and heroism of the US servicemen during a trying time in history.
Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Untold Story of US Navy During Vietnam Evacuation

Post by Niner » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:19 pm

NPR Senior Foreign Editor Loren Jenkins witnessed the fall of Saigon. He wrote this essay in 2005 to mark the 20th anniversary.
I think that would have been the 30th anniversery if he wrote it in 2005. Just a typo I guess.

I talk to a guy who was an FO in the old infantry battalion I was attached to nearly every Thursday night on a Skype chat. 7am Friday where he is and 7pm Thursday where I am. He lives in Saigon....or what everybody still calls Saigon. He is married to a Vietnamese woman and has a tour business among other things. I know another guy who went back and ended up married to a girl he knew long years before. She and he live in the US now days but go back and forth to Vietnam because of her connections and a large family she had before with a now dead previous husband. The guys old company raised some money for starving villagers in her old village last year. I posted about it here in this forum.

I'm sure at the time of the story the Navy was doing what they thought was a valient act helping the people running from what they knew not of but were deathly afraid of. But it was just tv fodder for what the US did wrong.....pay back from the point of view of the enemy that won in the end and made a lot of us old soldiers who served there in combat sick to our stomachs knowing how it came out.............and the guys we remembered who died there for nothing.

Obama is going to make a speech tonight about another idiotic war. Guess he will tell us he has it all under control.