11/11/10

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

11/11/10

Post by Karl/Pa. » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:23 am

In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below. We are the Dead. Short days ago We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, Loved, and were loved, and now we lie In Flanders Fields. Take up our quarrel with the foe: To you from failing hands we throw The torch; be yours to hold it high. If ye break faith with us who die We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders Fields. - John McCrae
Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: 11/11/10

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:25 pm

We WILL Remember Them.................
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Some don't remember very well:
VicRoads U-turn on 'shocking' Remembrance Day policy
Megan Levy
November 11, 2010 - 12:21PM. The Age.

VicRoads has been forced to make an embarrassing apology today after it was revealed the organisation did not mark Remembrance Day for fear of offending people.

VicRoads chief executive Gary Liddle said he had personally asked staff to hold a minute's silence at 11am today and made an "unequivocal apology" for any offence the policy may have caused.
Earlier today, the organisation said in a statement that it did not observe a minute's silence because it was "conscious of possible different cultural issues" and didn't "wish to cause offence to anyone".

The revelation was met with astonishment by the Victorian branch of the RSL and Felix Sher, whose son Private Gregory Sher was killed last year in a rocket attack in Afghanistan.

"I'm absolutely shocked," Mr Sher told radio station 3AW.
"I can't believe that any organisation would behave in this way.
"In most countries overseas there's a minute's silence to observe and people stop dead whatever they're doing and just contemplate and consider those who have given their lives to allow us to have the freedom that we do have."
(continues)
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/vicro ... 17ogg.html
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:24 pm

I didn't have a clue what VicRoads was.
VicRoads or the Roads Corporation of Victoria is a statutory corporation which is the state road and traffic authority in the state of Victoria, Australia. It is responsible for maintenance and construction of the state arterial road network, as well as driver licensing and vehicle registration.

The main VicRoads administration facility is located in the Melbourne suburb of Kew, on the site of the former Kew Railway Station, with other Melbourne offices in Burwood, Sunshine and Camberwell. Regional offices are located in Geelong, Traralgon, Benalla, Bendigo and Ballarat, among others. In addition Vicroads operates many offices servicing the public in registration and licensing throughout metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria.[2]
Wiki.

Why would anybody be offended by a moment of silence?

Is't that a state run thing? VicRoads. In the US, just about every city, county, state and federal government department had the day off today. A few exceptions......the garbage collection ran today. I don't know how they got excluded from the holiday. And of course fire and police worked as on any holiday.

In the US November 11 started out a a memorial day for WWI. When it became obvious that wasn't a war to end all wars it was later changed to a different and broader idea.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:28 am

Maybe it's like around here, the trash/recycle collection is done by private companies that contract to the city & county.

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:33 pm

From the Daily Mail in London. Not everyone was being silent.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -hate.html

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Vern, the city does the garbage collection. But...I don't have a problem. I like my garbage to be collected. I'm glad they didn't take the day off. Instead, they can have the third Monday in January off .....take their pick.. for Martin Luther King or Robert E. Lee. It's either ones birthday. And in Alabama they will. No garbage collection on Monday's in my neigborhood anyway so it doesn't bother me at all.

Talk about free speech...."British soldiers burn in Hell!" That is really asking for a cricket bat right smack between the eyes, now doesn't it?
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:03 am

The caption should read......................

IT IS ILLEGAL TO PROFILE ------- BUT THIS IS WHAT A TERRORIST LOOKS LIKE.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

vERN.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:05 am

vERN.
capSLOCK ?
(Sorry, something got the better of me :cry: )

Eoin.
Dutch Mosin
Leading Member

Post by Dutch Mosin » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:34 am

I wore a poppy on my uniform (when possible) last year November in Afghanistan.
Didn't see any protesters there.
Only very friendly people.
I wonder why......... :roll: ;)

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin