Combat Video

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

BobB1
Contributing Member

Combat Video

Post by BobB1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Several times we had combat reporters that came out and filmed us when we were in the field in Vietnam. There is (or was) film of me somewhere that a reporter from Oklahoma City took when he came out with us. This is a link to video of my company, D 5/7 Cav, that was just sent to me. It is from about three months before I joined the company. Some of the guys in the clip were still there when I came.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0jK2Uaimqo
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Combat Video

Post by Niner » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:33 pm

That's got to be some kind of experience seeing the film for the first time after all these years......and on Youtube. Must have been about like somebody sneaking up behind you and pouring a bucket of ice water down your back.

Nobody ever took any movies of the outfit I was with.....that I know of, anyway.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:47 am

While with D Co. at Vinh Kim, a reporter and camerman from NBC (I think) came to the firebase and interveiwed some of the guys.
We were told, by the military, ahead of time what not to say.
A few men were on camera and they left, big deal.
Never had anyone in the field with us, that I know of.

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:24 am

We never had any movie films taken that I know of in my time in Korea but there were some stills taken of various people and I'm in one at least, and here it is:

This was a recce patrol by D Coy, 3RAR. We're heading out in front of the line, bit of a casual affair as it's the Truce Period and only illegal shots are fired.
I always say that I was never on the receiving end of shots fired in anger only ones fired in frustration.

That's me behind the Major connected by the 'umbilical cord' of the 31Set handpiece.
I was twenty at the time and armed with a .380 M&P S&W, the rest have No 1s and probably two Owen Guns and one Bren at the rear, its a bit hard to tell but that was the usual arms.

We had Mk V Brens and as they are a bit smaller and lighter than the usuals the bloke at the back might be carrying one slung.

Note the Boss is wearing a non-regulation (for us) British helmet whereas we are all wearing WW II models also it's summer time and the sweat patches are starting to show and we've only just started.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:25 am

Looks like everyone is in step too, Eoin. Was that on purpose? Couldn't have been. Or, could it? :loco:
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:57 pm

Never noticed before :) but it is probably habit although in my case when the Boss had the handset I had to watch that I didn't step on his heels, should've had a longer lead.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.