D Day June 1944

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

D Day June 1944

Post by Niner » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:15 am

There is this guy named Donald Burgett. He was in the 101st on D Day and jumped into France. He has written several books about his adventures in WWII. All of which are well written and great reads, by the way. And...... Burgett has the distinction of being the only WWII memoire writer to get a personal advertisement from Dwight Eisenhower for the dust jacket of his first book written way back when. In any case, he has a website that is frequented by a small circle of people who worship his every notion....even the crazy old man notions he comes up with from time to time, and protect him from anyone who would disagree in any way with them. However, he can write. He is a natural born teller of tales. And...he actually was there.

Check out the latest two D Day posts that he made himself, remembering back 67 years. The first was about the aborted flight on June 5 and the second about the day of June 6.

http://donaldrburgett.com/eagleforum/in ... &board=1.0
Dutch Mosin
Leading Member

Re: D Day June 1944

Post by Dutch Mosin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:04 pm

I've read a book by Burgett.
The title is "the road to Arnhem".
A good friend sent it to me while I was in Afghanistan. ;)

IMHO a fantastic book.
You actually are there with him while you read.

Thanks Robert.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin
Niner
Site Admin

Re: D Day June 1944

Post by Niner » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Glad you read it Martin. Hope it filled in some of whatever free time you had while you were in Afghanistan.

Burgett wrote a few others. Currahee, Seven Roads to Hell, ( about Bastogne) and then Beyond the Rhine after he wrote the Road to Arnhem book. All of them are of equal interest. He's got one more in manuscript about...something..... maybe what he did after the war, that will be his last if he can find somebody to publish it.

While, I'm thinking about the 101st and paratroopers of WWII, the best memoir, in my estimation, is still Parachute Infantry by David Kenyon Roberts who served in Easy Company 2/506. He died in a boating accident in 1961 long before it was published. Maybe it's because he seems to be telling it like he remembered it with less drama that I like it best. Or maybe it is the brooding nature of it and his black mood that seems to fit the subject.

There are a raft of memoires after the Band of Brothers movie, ghost written for many of the men that the TV series characterized. I think I've read them all. I'm reading the lastest one...Shifty's War....right now.