Vietnam war series on the history channel starts tonight

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

Vietnam war series on the history channel starts tonight

Post by Niner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:46 pm

A new film history of the Vietnam war starts tonight on the History Channel. One review says it is the kind of thing you should watch on a large screen HD tv with the surround sound. Lots of blood and noise and plenty of action and grainy film and old guys crying as they remember stuff that happened to them. Lots of fun for the Steven Spielberg kind of war movie fan. Vintage music mixed in for effect now and again. .....But guess we didn't learn much of anything from that war considering other later continuing involvments. In any case...I'll give it a look.

Here is the History Channel preview:

http://www.history.com/shows/vietnam-in ... nd-destroy

While I'm thinking about it..... why is it that every documentary style tv show about war that interviews veterans...from any war... the veteran always has to cry when remembering stuff on camera? Usually it's one of those , " I never said this before" kind of moments. It is in all such films as a requirement. I wonder what causes all of this sudden emotion while being recorded for TV?
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Vietnam war series on the history channel starts tonight

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:34 pm

I plan on watching the show. However, I won't be crying, didn't cry while actually doing it, see no reason to cry 42 years later.
Some men seem to be overwhelmed by the sadness of it all, as some men are just more emotional than others. I am not an emotional person, never have been, don't think I have cried since about 10 years old. Not a personality trait that has always served me well. :roll:
But I do cringe while watching and it does bother me to watch it, but I make myself do it.
Saw "Saving Private Ryan" in the theatre and by the time the opening battle sequence was over, I was almost under the seat in front of me. :mrgreen:
Maybe I'll end up watching tonights show from under the coffee table. :mrgreen:

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Vietnam war series on the history channel starts tonight

Post by Niner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:25 pm

When I first came back from Vietnam I used to shudder at the violence on TV cop shows....even knowing full well it was all made up play acting. But crying isn't something I do either...even over stuff worth crying about.....like Vern, it isn't something I do for whatever reason. Maybe talking to that electronic eye with thousands of people behind it silently looking at them on tv does something to the veterans interviewed.