70 years ago

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

Re: 70 years ago

Post by Niner » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:20 pm

Personally I think History is a thing of the past
Duncan

I think for most people "history" ends at what happened before they were born...or at least before they were old enough to remember having been alive when it happened. The newer items in memory are not history but mostly just stuff that was on the 5 o'clock news. At the same time what is considered as a walk down memory lane for a 60 year old is considered, by their children, as mostly creative imagination unless the elder can offer some substantial evidence beyond his memory.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:18 pm

WAKE UP DUNNCAN, (This is so I could spell YOUR name wrong :mrgreen:)

OK, now I see what Tom meant, that in 2014 it will be the 100th of WWI and the 70th of D-Day.
I thought he was saying the next anniv. of D-Day was the 70th. My appologies for mis-reading your post, Tom.

Speaking of history and war, one thing I have noticed is that much of the general public thinks the ground war in europe lasted for 2 or 3 years.
When in reality it only lasted for 11 months, the ground war in the Pacific lasted 3 & half years.
I speak only of American ground troops. (So calm down, Duncan :mrgreen: )

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:37 am

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry Vern :lol: :lol:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.