Stolen Valor Act

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

Stolen Valor Act

Post by Niner » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:27 pm

Yesterday when the US was focused on the Obama Care ruling, the Supreme court made another judgement. Seems the law written to punish people who, for whatever screwball reason, lie about receiving the Congressional Medal of Honor and other valor awards is invalid. To lie about "valor" is just freedom of speech and guaranteed by the Constitution it seems.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... 55895020/1

Upon second thought..... we all know there have been a lot of embellished and lying war stories that have gone unpunished because the teller doesn't go to the extreme of awarding himself a CMH. Generally, if one only steals a little valor it is usually not a cause for a lynching, only a little eye rolling. :roll: However, the real danger to the person who is guilty of the crime is that some veteran will see through him and will meet out a worse punishment than any court.
Aughnanure

Re: Stolen Valor Act

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:42 pm

As I've remarked before, we call it 'wearing dead men's medals'; I'd not shed any tears if some of these posers got a bunch of fives or worse for their efforts.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Aughnanure wrote:As I've remarked before, we call it 'wearing dead men's medals'; I'd not shed any tears if some of these posers got a bunch of fives or worse for their efforts.
The problem is that the person handing out the (well deserved) punishment is the one that gets put through the legal mill afterward. :(
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Looks like the House of Representatives has proposed a replacement for the law stricken down. I think it hinges on if the faker is looking to get some actual gain out of it or not. I wonder if a free beer or maybe a little gratuitous sex would qualify as ill gotten gain?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-1 ... r-act.html
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:53 am

As long as they made the concept of gain broad enough. Even that perverted thrill they get from doing it has got to be some sort of gain.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.