WHERE DO THEY COME FROM!

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

WHERE DO THEY COME FROM!

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:33 am

Spotted the is ARRS today. As the poster said:-

"The photo speaks for itself but even idiots like her have the Constitutional right to express themselves even if it confirms their immaturity. Of course it is ironic in the extreme that she ridiculed someone who died defending that right."

http://www.metro.us/boston/Boston/artic ... dier-photo
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
joseyclosey

Re: WHERE DO THE COME FROM!

Post by joseyclosey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:58 am

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:21 am

Reminds me that back at the end of 1970 when I was in an airport a few hours after getting back from Vietnam a young woman walked up to me and spit in my face and then walked away. I was in uniform at the time. She said nothing. Just walked away. I was aware of all of the unrest in the country..... and .....All I wanted to do was get out of the military and be a civilian again and forget about Vietnam. I just wiped the spit off and got on with my life.

All things military are venerated out of proportion to their face value now that we have the never ending war of "terrorism". What was the patriotic value of Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.? Soldiers die for their country...or because of their country. In the last half century I think strong cases could be made for "because of", rather than "for".
“On Nov. 19 at approximately 6 p.m., we became aware that one of our employees had posted an offensive, inappropriate photograph on her personal Facebook page. The photo was taken at a national historic site in October by a fellow employee during a trip to Washington, D.C. attended by 40 residents and eight staff. The photo has since been removed from Facebook, and both employees have been placed on unpaid leave pending the results of an internal investigation.

This photograph in no way reflects the opinions or values of the LIFE organization, which holds our nation’s veterans in the highest regard.
Gutless and unAmerican outfit that woman works for. Freedom of speech isn't something they believe in obviously. One doesn't fart out loud at High Mass and one doesn't do anything that is unreverent in the face of our national military religion.

I read this the other day in an editorial by Glenn Greenwald in the Guardian.
Gen. Petraeus is the single most revered man in the most venerated American institution: the National Security State and, specifically, its military. As a result, all the rules are different. Speaking ill of David Petraeus - or the military or CIA as an institution - is strictly prohibited within our adversarial watchdog press corps. Thus, even as he resigns in disgrace, leading media figures are alternatively mournful and worshipful as they discuss it.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... a-military
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Niner wrote:Reminds me that back at the end of 1970 when I was in an airport a few hours after getting back from Vietnam a young woman walked up to me and spit in my face and then walked away. I was in uniform at the time. She said nothing. Just walked away. I was aware of all of the unrest in the country..... and .....All I wanted to do was get out of the military and be a civilian again and forget about Vietnam. I just wiped the spit off and got on with my life.
You obviously had more self-restraint than I did back in those days, luckily I never had anything like that happen to me.
I have no idea what I would have done, but doubt that I would have walked away.
Seems I was still on "High Alert" when I first got back from Nam..... :cool:

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:34 pm

You say that now Vern. I bet you would have done the same as me.

I remember one time. I got to remembering it the other day for no reason. It just came to me. Once I was on an Eagle flight. The platoon I was with was going to be lifted out. There were only three slicks. It was raining and we were in an area of flooded rice paddies and the choppers could only hover with the skids just above water. I was the FO's RTO then and I got into one of the slicks. I was motioned off as the chopper was overloaded. Maybe because the CP group was extra baggage I guess. I struggled under the prop wash and water up past my knees to the next chopper and was motioned off. I went to the third and was pushed off again.

I walked back into the paddy and just watched. I was just waiting for them to lift off and leave me. I didn't care. Just anger was all I felt. I did have the radio. I could at least curse somebody for a while. Anyway...after a time ... and none of the birds lifting off...somebody must have done some talking among the pilots radio net and from the last chopper the door gunner motioned me to come on. They took me over weight and all. Guess it would have been a no no to leave somebody with a radio behind.

Being spit in the face by somebody I didn't know wasn't any big deal to me. It didn't hurt. At least she seemed to think she knew what she was doing....even if it was directed at the wrong person.
Sarge
Regular visitor

Post by Sarge » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:39 am

I came home on a Med-a-Vac so I didn't have any of that shit!
I do know however exactly what I would have done - she had spit on the uniform, not me AND FOR THAT SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN LAYING ON THE FLOOR LOOKING UP!!!
Consequences be Damned!!!
Sarge
:rebel:
Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
LIFEMEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:31 am

Sarge, I see where you are coming from. I can sympathise. However, my thoughts at the time was that she was spitting on the uniform and not "Me". If she had been spitting on "Me"....instead of the uniform...then I would have reacted differently because it would have been personal then.