Planes in town.......

This forum is to discuss aircraft and vessels, military or otherwise.

Moderators: Niner Delta, joseyclosey

Reese Williams
Regular visitor

Re: Planes in town.......

Post by Reese Williams » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:29 am

Several years ago when the Collins planes were in town, it happened that one of my uncles was also visiting. He was a ball turret gunner on a B-24. We took the walk-through tour and he went over the whole plane all the while telling me about his experience. His entire crew survived the war and beginning in the late 40's got together at least once every year until there were only two of them left.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:45 pm

It was a great ride, a little different from the B-24. This one had a hatch in the top of the radio
compartment, where I sat. Only about 2 or 3 seats for passengers, rest sat on pads on the floor
and leaned against pads on the walls. Only one seat in my area, put an old guy in that seat so he
didn't sit on floor. Was again amazed at how fast a bomber accelerated on take-off, we literally had
to grab on to keep from falling over, even seated and belted. The roof hatch was fun, just take off
hat and glasses and really hang onto camera. The cruise speed is around 180mph, but since they
really baby those engines, my guess is we cruised about 150 or maybe a little less. So sticking your
head up at that speed is hard and holding the camera is really hard.
Posted the photos and videos on Photobucket, but for some reason they download them in reverse
order, so first ones are last. In one of the videos, I could actually pick out the house I grew up in.
In the video of the B-25 taxiing, you can hear the engine(s) popping and snapping, not sure if that
is them back-firing or not, was a lot louder than is heard on the video.
All in all, a really great day as you can see, there was not a cloud in the sky. It got very hot inside
the plane while taxiing for take-off and landing.
Was talking to the pilot after the flight and pointed at the B-25 and told him I still had one to go,
he laughed and said to go for it, he told me the B-25 is a real 'hot rod' after riding in the other 2.
Maybe next time....... :mrgreen:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ninerde ... t=3&page=1
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:16 pm

You got the movies to prove it. Nice day too. And sticking your head out the hole in the roof to shoot a movie was impressive too. Was it the first time you could feel the air going by in flight since riding in a Huey?

You are a better man than me. You couldn't pay me to get aboard something older than me that was moving and not touching mother earth at the same time. :bigsmile:
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:44 am

Great pics Vern, thanks for the show.........
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:31 pm

Since my last Huey ride, I rode in one of these, also a lot of fun........... :mrgreen:
Attachments
Stearman.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.