Interesting looking ship........

This forum is to discuss aircraft and vessels, military or otherwise.

Moderators: Niner Delta, joseyclosey

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Interesting looking ship........

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:38 pm

Was in Port Angeles today, it's the next town west about 15 miles, and happened to see this ship in the harbor.
Rather odd looking so looked it up when I got home. It's the SS Pacific Tracker, no one seems to know exactly
what this ship is used for but here are some guesses that I found online. It was actually built back in the '60s and
has been reconfigured a few times over the years before the "military" got it. There are giant radar antennas under
the white domes.

"Now this steam driven relic boasts a massive state-of-the-art X band radar on her stern along with a state-of-the-art
communications and data-link system."

"This new radar comes with a new name, XTR-1 for X band Transportable Radar One. The capabilities of this new array
are less than clear, but they are unique and powerful enough to have have a whole ship refitted around them.
The ship also packs a pair of additional tracking arrays mounted amidships but they pale in comparison to the the size of the XTR-1."

"Still, the ship's exact role is unknown, and there has even been speculation of a possible use by a foreign power.
What is more likely is that she is just another floating radar outpost that can be used for monitoring ballistic missile
launches and missile tests."

The Photos I took weren't very good, took this one from web, although it was taken yesterday by a local guy.
There seems to be a red floating boom (ring) around it, maybe it was leaking something???

Attachments
ss_pacific_tracker.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Re: Interesting looking ship........

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:43 am

I would think if she is military the boom would be some kind of defense, may be to prevent small boats or divers from getting too close (possibly using radio or sumsuch)

I bet she is a real cow in a heavy sea and the windage on those domes............. :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:19 pm

Talked to a friend that works in the harbor, turns out the ship was going to be refueled (oil) from a fuel
barge and the boom is to catch any oil that may be spilled in the water during the transfer.

Possibly an example of Occam's Razor (basic version) - "The simplest answer is usually correct." ......... :mrgreen:

I doubt if it is very top heavy, there is only a radar antenna inside each dome. With the domes off,
there isn't much under there. And an earlier configuration looked more top heavy than the current one...........see pics.

Attachments
1257175.jpg
09761002.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:41 am

Re fueling explains the boom but as far as I doubt if it is very top heavy, there is only a radar antenna inside each dome. With the domes off,
there isn't much under there. And an earlier configuration looked more top heavy than the current one...........see pics.
I was more concerned with windage than weight............
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.