Round the island Race..........

This forum is to discuss aircraft and vessels, military or otherwise.

Moderators: Niner Delta, joseyclosey

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Round the island Race..........

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:09 am

The old gaffer Sophie, built in 1892, passing The Needles during the 85th J.P.Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race, Isle of Wight (Daily Telegraph)
102254213_The_old_gaffer_Sophie_built_in_1892_passing_The_Needles_during_the_85th_JPMorgan_Asset_Man-xlarge_trans++OqYaiA2jP_cjd_vgf5A70kWcakpjTb5jDnh8WIVSsrI.jpg
I have done that race twice - fantastic times..............
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Round the island Race..........

Post by Niner » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:55 am

Good photo. Reminds me of the local Middle Bay Light yearly sailboat race. Just wondering... are all those crew members wearing floatation gear.. and do all of them have a safety line?

I'm no sailor, you can get killed doing that sailing stuff. I had two cousins who went sailing one day on Mobile Bay and somehow they managed to get themselves drowned with some sort of help from the boat. They were novice sailors. My accountant was lost in a sudden storm in the Middle Bay race. I've liked reading sailing books... like Tristan Jones and his mostly lying ... but excellent adventures....but I find sailboats, like motorcycles, something I'm mentally allergic to.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:51 pm

Don't think they use lines but I am pretty sure they wear auto inflating life jackets.

That race is a fantastic experience...........
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:44 pm

They just did the annual Race to Alaska here. A 750 mile race from Port Townsend, WA (about 30 miles
east of me) to Ketchikan, Alaska. Any boat you can sail or paddle, big or small, no power and no support or help.
And there is no set course, just get from start to finish any route you want.
The winners this year took just under 4 days and won $10,000.00, 2nd place gets a set of steak knives. (seriously)
I have no desire to sail up the rugged western coast of Canada in any boat..... :shock:

https://r2ak.com/about/

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:57 pm

There's nothing like sailing, I've sailed in dinghies, small boats, yachts and the 250ton (?) "Our Svanen" (now "Southern Swan")
When she was a sail training ship based in Sydney (Aust.) I was her engineer whilst docked, we shared the sea going engineer with "Bounty".
At sea I was an ordinary AB.
Great fun to be aloft at sea with good swells running and a course across them :bigsmile:
Another great post was as for'ard lookout (strapped between the twin fore stays), because of her high north sea bow the helmsman couldn't see forward and had to be warned by signals of anything in the way.
Last edited by Aughnanure on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:37 am

Smart looking barquentine Eoin, can see why you would like her :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Swan
Duncan