HMS Vanguard

This forum is to discuss aircraft and vessels, military or otherwise.

Moderators: Niner Delta, joseyclosey

PeterN2

HMS Vanguard

Post by PeterN2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:16 pm

I found this film of the last battleship of the Royal Navy being sent to the scrapyard in 1960. I found it quite sad. The other link is of the ship in service.
Regards
Peter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db6bgu0gs-g
http://battleshiphmsvanguard.homestead.com/
Niner
Site Admin

Re: HMS Vanguard

Post by Niner » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Interesting youtube links, Peter. Too bad it couldn't be saved as a memorial to a time when battleships were the queens of the sea. Maybe since it didn't launch until after WWII was over was part of the reason.

The USS Alabama and the Submarine Drum are in Mobile as American examples of a battleship and submarine. Both did service in WWII. I've posted photos of both several times. I go back to visit them every few years. The Alabama was almost sent to the scrap heap but a campaign to raise money managed to get Battleship park opened and the battleship brought to Mobile. School children, myself at the time included, put in their nickels and dimes along with businesses and civil minded individuals with deep pockets and when the ship was here any that contributed got a free pass to visit. Wish I had saved the pass.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: HMS Vanguard

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:12 pm

It is sad to watch such a beautiful machine destroyed, too bad it wasn't saved.
We took the boys on board the USS Missouri a couple of times back in the '70s when
it was a floating museum in Bremerton, WA, only about 60 miles away. But years ago
it was towed to Hawaii and sits near the USS Arizona, probably a more fitting place as
those two marked the beginning and end of WWII.
Too bad more people didn't want to save the mechanical marvels of history.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.