B29 Superfortress

This forum is to discuss aircraft and vessels, military or otherwise.

Moderators: Niner Delta, joseyclosey

Niner
Site Admin

B29 Superfortress

Post by Niner » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:08 am

Noticed this guy who is a real good photographer that likes airplanes...particularly old WWII airplanes of all sorts. One thing leading to another I took a look at this video of an attempt to document a ride in the most expensive version of war machine from WWII. The same kind of plane that dropped the A bombs on Japan. I found it fascinating enough to watch the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XakK81edKFA
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: B29 Superfortress

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Great video, would love to go for flight in one of those, but not going to happen..... :(
It gives you a good idea of what it's like to ride in a WWII bomber......... :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:17 pm

The guy riding in the nose bubble must have paid a premium to ride there. Looks like he wasn't strapped in either. Maybe he had a lap belt. Have no idea.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:43 pm

He did! The "cheap seats" in the back are $600 and his nose seat is $1600. The only down side is that
because that seat is so close to the pilots, the FAA requires him to stay seated during the entire flight,
so no moving around the plane in flight.
I was surprised to see the Commemorative (it will always be the Confederate Air Force to me) selling rides on
their planes. I don't think they used to do that, maybe they needed some income as those planes are
insanely expensive to maintain and fly. But they are sooooo cool........ :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.