Curio and Relic license now days

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Curio and Relic license now days

Post by Niner » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:30 pm

I was talking to somebody tonight about the C&R license. Unlike what I'm reading on other forums, he is going to get one. I encouraged him.

Back when the boat loads of surplus for cheap were docking every month a C&R was a handy thing to have to load up on Nagants, and Turk Mausers, and Sumatra Enfield No. 5's and whatever else. Then the boats stopped coming and the prices of everything went up in price like we always were telling ourselves they would.. We gloated for a while. But.... the boats have stopped coming. Only... we still miss the new cheap addition sometimes...at least I do. And I've got an example from all of the shooting food groups, so to speak, back when the getting was good, so it's not like I'm deprived. I'm not mystified by how Mausers, and Enfields, and Nagants and K31's shoot...and lots of others that I picked up during the cheap and easy to come by times. I'm thankful I had the experiences.

What I think is going to happen now is that a lot of those collectors who went crazy buying once upon a time are going to have to reduce their holdings eventually.... and maybe not always at an advantageous price. And since many of the collectors were in my age group then, as death now takes it's toll the families are going to unload a lot of guns at fire sale prices in the states that still don't make it hard to liquidate a collection. In the states that have already , or will, impose all sorts of gun sales laws out of fear of gun transactions of any sort, it will be difficult to do even that.

Deals will be coming for the continuing collector who bides his time. However, that's not why I told my friend it's a good to have a C&R license. What I was thinking was that in this new secret government, super spy, and government induced super fear era we live in, the C&R license may be a needed defense just to own more than two or three guns. Just think...somebody, maybe the plumber who comes to fix the bathroom faucet.... notices a number of gun safes and says something to somebody who says something to somebody else and the next think you know somebody with some kind badge knocks on your door? If you were to say...."well yeah, I got thirty, or forty , or fifty , or...more, guns. What of it?" How do you think the guy with the badge is going to react? But if you just showed your license....wouldn't that ease a lot of mystery for the guy with the badge on the one hand and give you some legal standing for owning any number of collectible firearms on the other?

People say they don't have a C&R because they don't want the government to know what they are doing. I have a C&R because I want the government to know I have a license to do what I' m doing and feel it gives me at least some defense of my, as of yet, still, right to collect guns.
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Re: Curio and Relic license now days

Post by Miller Tyme » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:13 pm

I couldn't agree more Robert, a lot of nice collectable rifles have come for sale in the past 4+ years as the economy muddled along from collectors raising cash, and most at resonable prices, and a C&R makes aquiring them easy.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
C&R Guy

Re: Curio and Relic license now days

Post by C&R Guy » Tue May 13, 2014 5:53 am

After my collection grew to more than 2 rifles, I applied for and received my C&R. I keep a copy handy when I travel in case I run into the one you can't walk away from. Plus, it really comes in handy when you order on line.

Since part of the application process is to notify the local police you are obtaining a C&R, they are aware that you will have collectable weapons. Most of the local gun shops have a copy of my C&R so if they get something in on consignment or trade, they give me a call to see if I am interested.

The cost of the license is $30.00 and the license is good for 3 years. Not a bad investment if you are serious about obtaining and collecting military firearms.