Went to a gun show today

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Went to a gun show today

Post by Niner » Sat May 31, 2014 5:31 pm

I go to the bigger ones in the area a couple times a year. Used to be with the expectation of adding to the collection, but now days I'm pretty much at a standstill on collecting. There doesn't seem to be anything out there that I want bad enough to pay the prices asked. Most everything is still tagged at outrageously high prices. $600 SKS's and $400 Enfields and $1200 M1 carbines. It's encouraging when thinking about the value of my collection. But.. at the same time, although I saw a huge crowd in attendance , I didn't see much being sold either.

The main observation I came away with today is that , although there were more tables offering ammunition than I've seen in years, the prices of the ammo was still in the stratosphere. Surplus 30.06 , 20 rounds, $16.95. Paper bundles right out of the spam can Mosin Nagant ammo being offered for $8.95. There weren't many buying either. I'm glad I still have a stash of ammo. Can you picture going to the commercial range and paying $12 to shoot, then knowing every shot you take is most of the value of a dollar bill to poke a hole in a paper target? Makes for a short range day unless you have more money than you know what to do with.

However, makes those old BP guns still reasonable to feed by comparison.... come to think of it.