GUESS THE WEAPON COMPETITION

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: GUESS THE WEAPON COMPETITION

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:08 am

QUESTION FOR 12th - 19th SEPTEMBER

This week I need to know;

COUNTRY, INVENTOR, MODEL / PERIOD, CALIBRE AND WHAT WAS THE INNOVATION WHICH PREVENTED AN EARLIER PROBLEM ?
MAH12SEP15.jpg
Don't forget, the first answer is the only one that counts :cool: :cool:

THIS QUESTION IS NOW CLOSED

The answer is;

Great Britain - Ezekiel Baker - Carbine Bore Rifle - 1806-15 - 0.625" . The innovation was the design of a 'slit stock ' which prevented the ramrod from jamming due to dirt or the swelling of the wood.

This rifle is identified by the shape of the patch box and butt position. ( The image is of my Baker, Circa 1812 )

Only one correct answer this week :cool: :cool:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:53 am

QUESTION FOR 19th - 26th SEPTEMBER

This week I need;

COUNTRY, MODEL, CALIBRE AND ADOPTION DATE.
MAH19SEP15.jpg

And the answer is;

Country; UK
Model; Paget Flintlock Calvary Carbine
Caliber; .66
Adoption Date; 1808.

Good work by two............
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:19 pm

QUESTION FOR 26th SEPTEMBER - 3rd OCTOBER

Pleas give me COUNTRY, MANUFACTURER, MODEL NAME & NUMBER & CALIBRE
MM27OCT11.jpg
Good Luck

Answer is;
Country Germany
Manufacturer Anshutze
Model Name and Number 1827F Fortner
Caliber .22 rf
Good work...........
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:01 am

QUESTION FOR 3rd - 10th OCTOBER

I AM CURRENTLY HAVING MEGA PROBLEMS WITH MY BROADBAND SO I CAN'T UPLOAD THIS WEEKS QUESTION AT PRESENT. WILL DO IT ASAP...............
MAH03OCT15.jpg
Today all I need is;

COUNTRY AND THE 3 CALIBRE OPTIONS FOR THE MAIN GUN................

Correct answer was;
Country France
Calibre options 75 mm, 90 mm and 105 mm

More about the beast:-
The AMX-13 is a French light tank produced from 1953 to 1985. It served with the French Army, as the Char 13t-75 Modèle 51, and was exported to more than 25 other nations. Named after its initial weight of 13 tonnes, and featuring a tough and reliable chassis, it was fitted with an oscillating turret built by GIAT Industries (now Nexter) with revolver type magazines, which were also used on the Austrian SK-105 Kürassier. Including prototypes and export versions, there are over a hundred variants including self-propelled guns, anti-aircraft systems, APCs, and ATGM versions. Total production of the AMX-13 family is approximately 7,700 units, around 3,400 of which were exported.

I photographed this one outside the museum of the Senior N.C.O.'s school in St. Maixent l'Ecole
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:39 pm

QUESTION FOR 10th - 17th OCTOBER

For his weeks weapon I need the following;

COUNTRY, DESIGNER & CALIBRE
MM10MAR12.jpg
Good luck........

THE CORRECT ANSWER FROM NINER IS;

This week it is a 1929 US trial rifle designed by J. C. White of Boston USA. It is .276 cal and semi automatic. It was found lacking compared to the Garand and not gone into production beyond samples.

Well done........
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:53 pm

QUESTION FOR 17th - 24th OCTOBER

This week I need to know;

INVENTORS, DATE THE INVENTION WAS CREATED AND PATENT DATE.
MAH17OCT15.jpg

The answer is;
In Paris in 1808, in association with French gunsmith François Prélat, Jean Samuel Pauly created the first fully self-contained cartridges: the cartridges incorporated a copper base with integrated mercury fulminate primer powder (the major innovation of Pauly), a paper casing and a round bullet The cartridge was loaded through the breech and fired with a needle. The needle-activated central-fire breech-loading gun would become a major feature of firearms thereafter. The corresponding firearm was also developed by Pauly. Pauly made an improved version, which was protected by a patent on 29 September 1812.

Made you work for that one I think :lol: :lol:
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:57 am

QUESTION FOR 24th - 31st OCTOBER
Need lots on info for this weeks piece.............

COUNTRY, MAKER, MODEL, CALIBRE & IT'S CLAIM TO FAME.
MM27MAR14a.jpg
Good luck!

The answer;
The world's first military semi-automatic rifle was created in Denmark by officer of Artillery Willhelm H. O. Madsen and intendant of arms factory in Kopenhagen Julius A. N. Rasmussen (who later changed his family name to Bjarnov). These two gentlemen began reasearch of recoil forces in firearms in around 1883, and by 1886 they concieved a recoil-operated semi-automatic rifle. In 1887 Danish army oredered 70 rifles for field trials, and by 1888 first prototype military self-loading rifle by Madsen and Rasmussen was built. After some testing and further development, in 1892 Danish Army ordered 200 'heavy recoil-operated rifles' with 20-round magazines for fortress use, although only 86 reifles were actually built. In 1896, Danish Navy ordered 60 more recoil-operated carbines (designated M.1896 Flaadens Reculgevaer), which were lighter than Army ones and had 10-round magazines. These rifles were delivered to danish Marine Infantry in 1896-97 and served until 1932. Fifty more rifles of same design were ordered for use in sea forts near Kopenhagen. These rifles had noticeably shorter service life and were replaced in 1908 by famous Madsen machine guns, which evolved from this same rifle by 1903. Despite fairy limited issue, these Madsen – Rasmussen (Bjarnov) M1896 semi-automatic rifles bear the distinction of being the first practical semi-automatic rifle ever to be adopted by any military service worldwide.

Madsen – Rasmussen (Bjarnov) M1896 semi-automatic rifle is short recoil operated. It uses Martini-type breechblock, which is hinged at its rear to the barrel extension. This breechblock (bolt) moves horizontally along with the barrel, tipping its forward end above or below line of the bore, for extraction and ejection of empty case or fresh cartridge loading, respectively. The vertical tilting movement of the breechblock is controlled by cam tracks of complicates shape, cut on the sides of the breechblock. Upon recoil, fixed studs, made on the inner receiver walls, force the breechblock to tilt by following these tracks. Rifle is fed from detachable box magazine, inserted from above. Magazine housing is offset to the left from the bore axis, and special feeder-interrupter allows cartridges to drop from magazine and then slide sideways into the line of feed, above the lowered breechblock. Ejection is downward and to the rear, via short rearward-facing chute machined in front of the trigger guard. Rotating charging handle is located at the right side of the erceiver and does not move when gun is fired. Normally, Madsen – Rasmussen (Bjarnov) M1896 semi-automatic rifles are fitted with two-piece wooden stock and folding bipod below the forend.

Calibre 8x58R Krag.

Good job blackisler & deadin..............
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:55 am

THE LAST ONE! :bigsmile:

QUESTION FOR 31st OCTOBER - 7th NOVEMBER

For the last one of the competition I want to know;

Designer, Make, Model & Caliber and what was it used for?
MM-18-FEB.jpg
Good luck................

THIS QUESTION AND COMPETITION NOW CLOSED

THE ANSWER, FROM BLACKISLER,
Designer Helge Palmcrantz
Make Nordenfelt
Model 4-barrel Nordenfelt Mk III Machine-Gun
Caliber 1 inch
Used for anti-torpedo boat gun.

Gopod Job!
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:05 am

And so, after 53 weeks of competition I can declare that blackisler is the winner with 53 points.
Second is deadin with 49 points
Third is Miller Tyme with 45 points

Well done to everyone who participated and I hope that you have learned something new :)

blackislers prize is a special selection from my celler;

A bottle of 2010 Chãteau Monconseil Gazin Grand Reserve AOC Blaye Red.
PRIZE.jpg
It was a Gold Medal Winner in the Vignerons Independants Concourse 2013.

Enjoy it Robert but DO drink it all at once.......................................
Duncan