GUESS THE WEAPON COMPETITION

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

GUESS THE WEAPON COMPETITION

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:38 pm

So, here we go.

Every SATURDAY I will post an image and ask for details about the weapon.

The post will be locked and you will have 7 days to send me a PM with the answer. After the post is Closed I will post the answer . I will then post the following weeks question.

You may use any means available to identify the weapon and answer the question. The main point of the thread is to discover the diversity of firearms in the world so they will not all be Milsurp ;)

I will also post a running total of points scored here.................................
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Re: GUESS THE WEAPON COMPETITION

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:45 am

THE FINAL SCORES ................

Screen Shot 006.JPG
Screen Shot.JPG
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:46 am

OK, here we go with a fairly easy one to get you started :D :roll:
Please PM me with;

Name, Series and Mk please

MM1APR.jpg
This question will close on Saturday November 8th 2014.

THE QUESTION IS NOW CLOSED FOR ENTRIES.

Correct answers from Miller Tyme, blackislwer and ArchFluffy who all gave me...........

The Swift Rifle Series B Mk.III - no calibre required :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Good start guys :D
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:51 am

So, now you know how it's done, here is your second chance to shine :bigsmile:

PM me with; Country, Model 'Name' and both calibres.
MM24JUNE.jpg
THE QUESTION IS NOW CLOSED FOR ENTRIES.
The answer is;

USA, 1841 Mississippi Rifle.

The 1841 Mississippi was a very popular gun with the Confederacy during the Civil War, most of which stayed in .54 Caliber while those used by the Union were re-bored to .58 Caliber.

Well done the winners although some might read the question more carefully before sending me the answer :roll: :roll: :roll:
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:09 am

OK, Question for week 15-22 November 2014;

Please PM me with:- COUNTRY, FULL MODEL DESIGNATION AND CALIBRE.
MM30DEC10.jpg
Good Luck everyone............

For those who think I am being a little 'picky' i'm not.....the actual description to gain the point might make the difference between first and second prize so I prefer to think I am asking for accuracy.
Just so you all know, I am offering clues to those who are very near........................

22 Nov.

Well, 5 winners for this one which is.......

Two band English Snider Enfield Pattern II** artillery carbine with brass furniture. This is an early breech loader converted from the Pattern 1858 Enfield percussion artillery carbine. Royal Crown, "VR" and "1862 Enfield." markings are present on the lock plate. Calibre, .577"

Well done guys.
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:44 am

Question for 22- 29 November.............

Please PM me COUNTRY, INVENTOR, MODEL., CALIBRE for this piece.
MM15JUL12.jpg
Not for the point but can anyone tell me what 'first' it achieved?

Good luck................. :D

OK, THIS QUESTION IS NOW CLOSED.

The answer being........
Bernardon-Martin M1907

Frenchman Thomas Martin filed in first patents for an automatic pistol in 1905.
Bernardon was the man with the necessary money to start production.
In 1907 first pistols were available on the market. 1909 Bernardon filed in another patents for improvement of the pistol. His major problem to make a big deal were the very expensive and too small production.
At beginning of 1912 production ceased. Some pistols after this were built up from spare parts. From these pistols a lot were sold under the trademark "Hermetic"
It was the first French automatic pistol in serial production.
Calibre; 7.65mm.

Good work by Miller Tyme, blackisler and Niner :D :D
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:54 am

Question for 29 Nov - 6 December :roll:

Bit older than last weeks...........

Please PM me with;

COUNTRY, PATENT HOLDERS, MAKE, MODEL, CALIBRE.

for this rare piece......................
MM3MAY12.jpg
Good Luck!

THE QUESTION IS NOW CLOSED.

Miller Tyme, blackisler, ArchFluffy, deadin and blackpennant all coming up with the detail which is;

Edwin Wesson & Daniel Leavitt Patent, Percussion Revolving Rifle mde under Wesson's Patent No:6669 of August 28 1849 and Leavitt's Patent No: 182 of April 29 1837.
Made by Massachusetts Arms |Company, Chicopee falls in 40 calibre. Probably less than 20 produced.

Good work chaps!!
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:09 am

QUESTION FOR 6-13 DECEMBER :evil:

OK, here we go with a piece that is a bit more up to date!

Please PM me with the following information;
COUNTRY, MAKER, TYPE, CALIBRE. Just for fun, can you tell me WHICH COUNTRY PURCHASED A FEW IN THE EARLY 1950'S
MM3JUL11.jpg
Good Luck :) :)

THE QUESTION IS NOW CLOSED.

Winners this week are; Everyone but Dave 101 :roll:

The answer being;
France, Hotchkiss 'Universal' Machine Gun in 9 x 19mm Luger / Parabellum.

Hotchkiss "type Universal" submachine gun is one of most unusual weapons that appeared during early post-WW2 period. It was announced by once famous French arms-making company Societe des Armes a Feu Portatives Hotchkiss et Cie in 1949, and was produced until about 1952. The idea behind this gun was to made it as compact as possible when carrying or storing; the intended market for such weapon could be either paratroopers or people engaged in all sorts of clandestine operations. As a result of development, the "type Universal" submachine gun was able to be folded into a rather small package, only 440mm long when completely "collapsed". On the minus side, resulting weapon was overly complicated and expensive to make. It had many parts and probably was not reliably enough for any serious use. Small number of Hotchkiss "Universal" submachine guns saw action during earlier stages of war in the Indochina; few were purchased by Venezuela during early 1950s, but there were no more buyers and production of this gun has stopped.
It is also possible that it was the Hotchkiss "Universal" submachine gun that inspired Eugene Stoner when he devised his Ares Folding Machine Gun.
Except for its ability to fold down into a small package, Hotchkiss "type Universal" submachine gun is rather conventional weapon, using simple blowback action. It fires from open bolt, and capable of selective fire (fire mode selector is made in the form of cross-bolt button above pistol grip). The cocking handle has a sliding dustcover on its slot, and does not move when gun is fired. The sights consist of hooded front and flip-type aperture rear, marked for 50 and 100 meters.
The buttstock and pistol grip are made from sheet steel. When gun need to be collapsed, the pistol grip is pivoted forward to cover trigger guard, and magazine housing is folded forward to lie below the barrel. The buttstock then folds down and forward, and locks to the outer walls of magazine housing. If gun has to be further collapsed, operator shall depress a special latch that is located at the front of receiver, below the barrel. barrel then can be pushed backwards and into the receiver. It must be noted that it took more than few seconds to bring gun back to action from "fully collapsed" state.

well done gents!!
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:05 pm

Question for week 13 - 20 December

I think you have been having it too easy so far :shock: :shock: Lets see how good you are with this one....................

I need to know Country, Maker, Model & Calibre please.
MM26DEC12.jpg
QUESTION IS NOW CLOSED

Answer is; Solothurn S18-100/ S18-1000 and S18-1100 anti-tank rifle (Switzerland) Calibre; 20x105B & 20x138B. If you got one of these then you go the point :) :)
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:16 pm

Question for the week 20 - 27 th December 2014.

Please give me; COUNTRY, DESIGNER, MODEL & CALIBRE for this seasonal question :loco: :loco:
MM25DEC11.jpg
THE QUESTION IS NOW CLOSED :cool:

The answer is: Designed by Ernest Vervier. The M240, officially Machine Gun, 7.62mm, M240, is the US military designation for the FN MAG (Mitrailleuse d'Appui Général, meaning General Purpose Machine Gun), a family of belt-fed, gas-operated medium machine guns firing the 7.62×51mm NATO cartridge.

Correct answers from............Miller Tyme, blackisler, ArchFluffy, deadin and blackpennant...........I was easy going on you guys because it was Christmas, the going might get tougher :loco: :loco:
Duncan