Anybody sell anything on Gun Broker?

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Anybody sell anything on Gun Broker?

Post by Niner » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:52 am

I'm thinking of listing a gun or two to see how the selling thing works on Gun Broker. Any experiences? Any advice?
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Re: Anybody sell anything on Gun Broker?

Post by Miller Tyme » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:11 pm

Niner wrote:I'm thinking of listing a gun or two to see how the selling thing works on Gun Broker. Any experiences? Any advice?

I've sold a couple on Gunbroker Robert, all have been good sales with zero hassles, the devil is in the details though. Take good pictures, good pictures will get you your money and possibly more. Set your starting price at the least you will be comfortable taking. Spell out exactly how the sale is to be transacted and always insist on USPS Money Orders as they are about as safe a form of payment you can get.

Here is a disclaimer I always post after my description, feel free to use it ( or modify it to your needs) if you like.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask away

Walt

Payment by USPS Money Order ONLY, and due with in 7 days of close of auction.

All are used unless otherwise noted and should be treated as such.

All firearms ship to licensed FFL (03 or better) only, there are no exceptions.
We require a signed copy of your FFL or dealers FFL to be mailed to us before shipping.

Please make sure your FFL with accept a firearm from a 03 FFL holder or there will be an additional charge to transfer.
California residents must send a copy of there COE along with there 03

Shipping is $30.00 to the lower 48, all items are shipped INSURED and with Signature conformation.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:39 pm

Yes.

It was two or three years ago so things might have changed. But I'd say:

Take lots of pics to post. I don't remember how many post for free but I maxed it. I took the pics in natural light. Pics of dents and the bolt, everything.

Figure out how you want to ship it before you post it on gunbroker. If you are mailing it out yourself find out a carrier that's good for it. Find a shipping box with padding. And remember to say in the gunbroker listing that you are a private person and that they buyer's FFL needs to be okay with that. Or whatever you are, I'm not an expert on the rules. But I went another way. Since I didn't have a box and didn't know about the shipping rules or carrier to use I asked my FFL at the pawn shop if he'd pack and ship it for me. He's always getting firearms shipped in and so he has boxes and packing supplies and knows what works best. I figured it would be a good way to go. I think he did it for $20 over the shipping cost but peace of mind for me was worth it. Tell him to get tracking and insurance and all. Buyers love tracking! I know I do!

If you pack it yourself and it's a bolt action rifle consider shipping it with the bolt removed. I've seen boxes arrive at the pawn shop with the bolt sticking out of the box. Pack the whole rifle like every projecting part and each end is a battering ram. Do secure the bolt so it won't go all over in the box in shipping. Cleaning rods get bent so maybe pack it separately in the box too. Be sure to label the parts you pack like this though so they aren't discarded as extra packing. I nearly lost a scope that way. "Were's the scope?" " Huh?" so we dug through a pile of old packing that was going into the dumpster to find my optics.

I think I'm a magnet for weirdos or something, but I got a bunch of messages about my rifle. "You want too much, I'll give you 27.50" "is it really 7x57mm?" "I want a discount." "Do you consider trades?" "Will you hold it for me?" "Will you take an installment plan?" "will you take credit or a personal check?" "I got hit over the head with a canoe paddle. " "Will you sell face to face"

When the guy asked me to do installments I offered to just pull the listing and repost in a month. Then a month later they guy wanted 10% off. After that I became hard ArchFluffy. Postal money order or nothing! No face to face! The number one rule is : I RULE!

After it sells stay in touch with the buyer. "Okay, payment is through. It goes in the mail tomorrow." "It just shipped here is the tracking info." "I packed these parts separate, keep an eye open for them."

It took 4 months to sell but It still sold. Yay!

-Fluffy

PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:32 pm

If that rifle had been on the Guntrader site in the UK it wouldn't have taken four months to sell. I would have been in contact straight away assuming the price was not unreasonable. That is a great looking rifle.

Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:47 pm

Good information. Thanks for the responses. The next thing is getting some boxes. Where do you get your boxes? I did a Google and here's one that came up.

http://www.uline.com/Product/AdvSearchR ... alSearch=Y
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Post by Miller Tyme » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:49 pm

Niner wrote:Good information. Thanks for the responses. The next thing is getting some boxes. Where do you get your boxes? I did a Google and here's one that came up.

http://www.uline.com/Product/AdvSearchR ... alSearch=Y

I have about a dozen boxes in my basement from other purchases I have made on line. Also local gun stores are a good source since they just throw them away. Also when shipping i perfer USPS, but they always ask me for the copy of the FFL of the person recieving the rifle. I always have a copy of both theres and mine and I leave it with them. Fed-Ex and UPS are a pain to ship because you have to ship from there listed customer service centers which is 30+ miles from my house. USPS is also usually cheaper, but there tracking system leaves a lot to be desired.

Also Robert if you are planing on doing any handguns you need to check out shipping for them as it is my understanding all 3 require "next day air" to ship any handgun so your shipping costs are very high. Me. I don't sell handguns on line.

Happy Selling
Walt
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:02 pm

I was thinking of selling some of my doubles in long rifles. I think I'll hang on to all of my handguns. In the past I've had experience with UPS and generally think they are more trustworthy. But only somewhat so. I wonder how often the post office guy gets out of the truck and gets a signature. I'd suspect they would have to get a signature...officially.

One time the UPS handled a rifle sent to me , C&R to my door, and it ended up at a gun dealers store for some reason. The driver left it there by mistake. The gun dealer called me and said I could come get my shipment for their usual transfer fee after looking me up by the address on the box. Needless to say... I told them what they could do with their fee since they took a shipment that wasn't theirs.
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:40 pm

Thank you for the love, Peter. I moved it for $850. When I bought the rifle it was covered in grease. After removing the stuff from inside and out (it was all over the metal) I didn't think it had ever been used at all. "Too nice for me. I might put a scratch on it. Maybe someone else wants it." I know it sounds silly but I kind of like my milsurps where I can take them out and not worry about if I should have gloves on or not. Maybe I'll buy a nice but not super example some day.

Niner, do try gun places for a used box. Or get creative and say "Rifle will come in a rifle case" and put the rifle in one of those cheap plastic ones with the padding inside from walmart. Maybe the box the case comes in would also do for mailing. Or maybe not. I don't know. Just an idea. Some old long guns can be pretty long too.

-ArchFluffy
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:50 am

I'm really going to give it a try in listing something in the next day or two. Just haven't found the answer to one question. The question is... If the highest bidder at the end doesn't send me a money order what happens? And if they know or don't know that the buyer doesn't pay, does Gun Broker take their fee regardless? This no pay has happened to me on ebay a couple of times and ebay knows that the deal didn't go through and I'm credited back the fee. It looks like Gun Broker would have no way of knowing that deal wasn't completed.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:44 pm

I see where Gunbroker is raising their fees, don't know how much or exact dates,
you might want to read these.........

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... 2018-03-18

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/ ... 0001749293

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.